FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shadow of The Giant???

Author Topic: Shadow of The Giant???
EnderWiggin2004
Member # 5366

- posted      Profile for EnderWiggin2004   Email EnderWiggin2004         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just finished reading shadow puppets a couple months ago. I thought that was the last shadow book. But I heard that there is going to be a Shadpw of the Giant. Is this true? If so when will it come out? Thanks
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It is very true. [Big Grin] [Cool] No one knows when it's coming out though (OSC included). The sixth installment of his Alvin Maker series (Crystal City) is coming out in November. After that, it's anyone's guess what's going to come out next. Personally I'm rooting for Rasputin (the sequel to Lovelock) but that probably wont be it.

Welcome to Hatrack! [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderWiggin2004
Member # 5366

- posted      Profile for EnderWiggin2004   Email EnderWiggin2004         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot!!! Can you give me the order of the Alvin stories... I want to read them so i can read the new one coming out in November... Thanks again! [Wink]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Seventh Son, Red Prophet, Prentice Alvin, Alvin Journeyman, and Heartfire. Welcome to Hatrack.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderWiggin2004
Member # 5366

Hey, Are the alvin stories much different from the ender and shadow series. Are they somewhat similar to eachther. Could someone give me an idea of what the alvin stories are like, what they;re about, etc.. Thanks alot!
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The Alvin stories are loosly based on Joseph Smith's life, but there's really no religion in them. Alvin is a child born around 1800 who has a very powerful ability. It's kind of historical fantasy type of thing. It's very good. [Cool]

The stories of the Alvin Maker series and the Ender series are very different, but you can still tell that they're both Card books. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItsStockOfficer
Member # 5368

- posted      Profile for ItsStockOfficer   Email ItsStockOfficer         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the giant, Peter or Bean?

Sean
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
11.9@118.97

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Good question. It's hard to say. Could be either, but I'm leaning towards Bean.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fotwennytime
Member # 5194

- posted      Profile for fotwennytime   Email fotwennytime         Edit/Delete Post 
any idea who the shadow is? if i had to guess i'd prolly say petra or nikolai.
Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you both have it wrong. Bean is the Giant, and the the world is his shadow, becuase he's larger and smarter than anyone.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frankenheimer
Member # 5374

- posted      Profile for Frankenheimer   Email Frankenheimer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bean is the giant AND the shadow. He'll be more of a public figure but also pulling strings in his own shodowy way. maybe
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean is the giant and his kid is the shadow. Thats my guess.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItsStockOfficer
Member # 5368

- posted      Profile for ItsStockOfficer   Email ItsStockOfficer         Edit/Delete Post 
Beans going to be the shadow of Peter. Peter is going to become the Hegemon and bean is going to be a serious force in mauevering him there. Der. Peter's going to be the real giant, he will rule the world. bean always has power but he never is man in front because of his lack of ambition to attain power.

Sean

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was the shadow. I'll need to reread those books I guess...
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that Shadow of the Giant referred to Bean completely. On one hand, he's physically and mentally a giant, ("I'm the smartest person on the planet, we have that on record.") which casts its shadow over the world (he did save them, twice if you count the Chinese invasion), while on the other hand, he wants nothing more than to start a normal life before he dies. He lives in his own shadow, the shadow of the person he once was, and doesn't want to be anymore. Or maybe all that's left of the Great Bean, is his shadow; now he's dying, and is no longer, technically, that same kid.

[ August 24, 2003, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Morgaine ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean is definetly the giant. Think about Anton's Key and how Bean is supposed to die. Bean wants to save the world, remember, he didn't think he was out to help anyone before his marriage, but he's truly really altruistic. He wants to save the world and help it thrive. Why else would he have killed Achilles (yes, his children...)??? But, I think that the shadow is either, Petra, Nikolai, his child (which is probably unlikely), himself, or maybe Peter. But I doubt that Peter will be his shadow. I dunno. Probably Petra or Nikolai. Oh, maybe Suriyawong? Maybe not. [Smile] So decisive. [Smile]
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bean's the giant and his child will be the Shadow. Is this going to be the book where Bean's kid meets up with Ender's Peter? Or is that later? Because if that's this one it would make sense because he is the shadow and in Ender's Shadow, Bean is the Shadow and the book follows him, and same with Shadow of the Hegemon. So Bean's kid would be the shadow and the book would follow him/her. Did I just make sense?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krulg
Member # 5592

- posted      Profile for Krulg   Email Krulg         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's shadow - bean is shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon - hegemon peter, shadow bean

Shadow puppets - shadow once again bean

Shadow of a giant - shadow most likely bean giant would be peter creating the starways congress

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Grief, No.
Bean is the giant, and the future he leaves behind, probably esp. his children, is the shadow.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bricks-N-Sandwiches
Member # 5603

- posted      Profile for Bricks-N-Sandwiches   Email Bricks-N-Sandwiches         Edit/Delete Post 
How Gnomic can a title get? [ROFL]
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that Bean's children would meet up with Ender-as-Peter just yet in sotg - I assume (you know what they say about assumptions) that sotg will take off right where sp left off. However, there is always the possibility that I may be wrong!!
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all this debate about the title is rather pointless, no offense intended. I think that OSC titles them in such a way that it means more than one thing at a time...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's pointless. That's why it's fun. [Smile]
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
lol yeah
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestar Runner
Member # 5724

- posted      Profile for Homestar Runner           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...yes it is...very pointless...but as some dude said..its fun!
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a thought. All this time, we're assuming that Shadow of the something means two people. Shadow of the Hegemon, was Bean as the Shadow of Peter, the Hegemon. What if this is merely his actual shadow? The shadow (the accomplishments, the past, the future, etc.) of Bean (the Giant). That could work, no?
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yzerman
Member # 5741

- posted      Profile for Yzerman   Email Yzerman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ender's shadow - bean is shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon - hegemon peter, shadow bean

Shadow puppets - shadow once again bean

Shadow of a giant - shadow most likely bean giant would be peter creating the starways congress

Bean Is the shadow in the shadow series.

The only way peter is a shadow is in his own eyes towards his brother Ender.

If you remember in the original series, Ender himself setteled into the bugger home world, and there was a giant in Ender's dream, and finally the giant from his dream became reality. I believe (hope) that another link between Ender and Bean will be made here, And I hope this is the giant OSC is referring to.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have wondered about Ender's fantasy game and the connection to Bean. Will Bean leave in a near light space ship (with Petra and his children?) to get to a time where his growth can be stopped before it cripples him and before it affects his children? Remember, he didn't want to have children because he did not want to pass his defect on. He might well have as now not only is Petra pregnant with one of his seeds, but they also have 5 other fertilized eggs, all of which may have his genetic defect. As the science in his time cannot undo the defect in his children, nor stop his growth, he may choose to leave on a space ship with them (assuming he does get the eggs back) and then return to Earth to get the "cure".
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

I thought OSC had said (Check Philotic Web for verification) that Bean will definitely die and so it will be just his child (children) who go meet up with Peter. And it now seems likely to me that since the point of going there (then?) is to deal with the Descoladores that maybe they will somehow go into outside space and "fix" the gene (assuming the kid has it)
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
The book was originally going to be called, "Shadow of Death," but they changed it because they feel books with "death" or "dead" in the title (like Speaker for the Dead) generally don't sell as well as books with titles that lack such refrence.

So they changed it to "Shadow of the Giant," "Giant" being what they hope the sales figures will be.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad that death or dead in the title would put reader off. IMO, I enjoyed reading SftD more than Enders Game because I personally felt that the character development was better.

Also, I tried to check out what the Philotic web regarding whether Bean dies in SotG, but I was unable to find references to it. Julie, or anyone else, can you give me a link?

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Turns out the quote I was thinking of was talking about was talking about Shadow Puppets, but here it is:
quote:
Bean, of course, is dying, and does NOT get healed.
Here's a quote about the other book:
quote:
Bean`s child will meet up with the Ender-as-Peter following the events of Children of the Mind.
So it's Bean's kid, not him, not Petra, that goes. Is this the thread that was debating that? Oh well, too lazy to delete.
CaliphAlai
Member # 5915

- posted      Profile for CaliphAlai   Email CaliphAlai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think as in typical OSC fashion the title can mean multiple things. First, the literal meaning of Bean as a physical giant because of Anton's Key. His shadow then would be the entire world, because he's so much larger. Metaphorically speaking, the Giant could be anything from Peter to Alai to Han Tzu to the Giant from the fantasy game. Who knows?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliphAlai
Member # 5915

- posted      Profile for CaliphAlai   Email CaliphAlai         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought: the "Giant" is Bean's physical form, and since he's so deformed physically, his personality and essence (bascially everything that really makes him Bean) is overshadowed by that (i.e. Bean himself in perpetually in the shadow of himself, the Giant)
Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlin The Sage
Member # 5931

- posted      Profile for Merlin The Sage           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there is no giant at all. Maybe it is just a metaphorical expression. Or maybe not. I let Ye make up thy own's mind. But my opinion in the matter is that the giant is his legacy that ye leaves behind....

Thy Mentor Of Arthur,
Merlin

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Merlin, PLEASE stop massacring the Queen's English. Do you even know what "thee" and "thy" MEAN? [Smile]

Thee, thy, and thou are archaic second-person singular pronouns. Where we might say "you" today, meaning a single person, there are several Romance languages that use different pronouns for a single, personal "you" than for a multiple-person or formal "you."

"Thou" is the English language's version of the French "tu." The archaic conjugations of "hast" and the like are tied to the use of this subject.

So you might say, to someone specific, "I see that thou hast abandoned thy charge. I beg thee to reconsider."

[ November 23, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.