FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Jane + Miro and Wang mu +Peter...??? (don't read if you haven't finished COTM)

Author Topic: Jane + Miro and Wang mu +Peter...??? (don't read if you haven't finished COTM)
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone wonder what might come of the story Children of the Mind? I mean, that one really leaves you hanging, too. Talk about being ancy, well, that's me when I finished Children of the Mind. It ends right after the marriage and Valentine is left standing there, while it talks about the brother trees and mother trees of the pequeninos bursting full of life and bearing fruit and being beautiful...I have this really beautiful picture in my mind of the ending, but I have NO idea where to go. Maybe everyone on hatrack (who wanted to) could continue the book, just for fun on a thread specifically for continuation. Just a suggestion for consideration.

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Fan fiction? [Angst]

*throws up all over keyboard*

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
i already mentioned this in the response to your thread about shadow puppets, but the book linking shadow of the giant and children of the mind will take care of your curiosity about what comes next. just have patience...a lot of patience.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Fitz, that's really unnecessary. Now you have to clean up your mess. I just know that a few of my friends and I, when I used to post on tod, we did that kinda stuff. [Dont Know] I know who's not stolid today...

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also wondered if OSC purposely left COTM kind of dangling so as to leave opent he possiblity of additional books. I guess any further books could no longer be considered part of the Ender series -- *unless* you think that maybe by Ender becoming Peter (as the new and improved Peter has all the elements that Ender had inside himself and is an amalgum of what Ender thought was Peter, Valentine, and himself too) has cheated death and old age. [Big Grin]
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Yeah, so do you think that Ender has in a way found immortality? Because his auia is in Peter. But then again, Peter's auia (Ender's auia in Peter's body) won't transfer to his kids. His genes will, but not his auia. So unless the Peter-body-really-being-the-auia-of-Ender's auia somehow finds one of Peter's kids who wants to die or is about to die or feels useless, then I doubt Ender will really be immortal. So, I kinda answered my own question. But, I'm curious to see what others think. [Smile]

unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Ender created two additional bodies from his own mind I think he imbued them with his own auia. He was unable to keep three bodies adequately up, and Valentine started to die until Miro (the new and improved Miro which the damaged Miro created and then imbued entirely with his own auia [Big Grin] ) tweaked Ender's interest keeping Val alive. When that happened, Ender collapsed because he couldn't keep all three bodies active.

Also, I think Ender was tired of life in his old body, and I think he also was looking for a way to honorably escape from having to live with Novinha without enjoying her in a normal husband/wife relationship. In the Peter body, with Val amalgamated to it, he could obtain a fresh start and perhaps allow Ender to obtain the redemption he always craved.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Good point, unohoo. Thanx. I agree with that. Novinha did have a bad temper, even though I don't think you were stressing that. I liked her alot when she was a kid, I think she changed alot... [Smile]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So do you think Peter (with Ender's Aiua) could ever make more bodies, or will he go ahead and die when Peter's body grows old and dies? Am I the only one who finds this a little troubling?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, I don't believe that the creation of any more bodies will be a possibity. For two main reasons. Number one: After Ender's auia entered Peter's body completly, Peter made numerous trips outside where no new bodies were created. And to any remarks abouts how he wasn't outside long enough to create new bodies, it was already said that the creation of the new bodies was instanteous, the time outside played no definitive factor. The second reason is that there is no reason for Ender/Peter to create anymore bodies, because all of his issues are resolved. Ender always felt like he was split. However, that doesn't change the fact that he may gain immortality. His auia can now travel the philotic webs. So he still has the possibility to live in a new body/tree/pequeno/formic. Ender as a tree particularly amuses me.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shartae
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for Shartae   Email Shartae         Edit/Delete Post 
By: Fitz
Fan fiction?

*throws up all over keyboard*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I must admit that was really funny when I first looked at it.

It left me hanging as well... but, maybe Mr. Card is gonna add something or whatever...

Im kinda wanting to know what else is happening next after the marriage deal, Especialy Peter and Wang Mu.

o.O;
Shartae

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there will be fan fiction after the movie comes out. I forget exactly how it went, but doesn't the movie contract allow for other Battle school stories to be produced by the studio as long as they don't impinge on sequels Card has already written? He said something about that at EnderCon.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

quote:
So do you think Peter (with Ender's Aiua) could ever make more bodies, or will he go ahead and die when Peter's body grows old and dies? Am I the only one who finds this a little troubling?
Pooka, I would assume that Ender could keep living because Ender's auia was in Peter's created body. I also assume that Ender-in-Peter will be able to have offspring because he has an auia, it was the one that previous belonged to Ender.

quote:
In my opinion, I don't believe that the creation of any more bodies will be a possibity. For two main reasons. Number one: After Ender's auia entered Peter's body completly, Peter made numerous trips outside where no new bodies were created. And to any remarks abouts how he wasn't outside long enough to create new bodies, it was already said that the creation of the new bodies was instanteous, the time outside played no definitive factor. The second reason is that there is no reason for Ender/Peter to create anymore bodies, because all of his issues are resolved. Ender always felt like he was split. However, that doesn't change the fact that he may gain immortality. His auia can now travel the philotic webs. So he still has the possibility to live in a new body/tree/pequenino/formic. Ender as a tree particularly amuses me.
Locke, I think maybe Peter was just concentrating on NOT creating anything while in the outside? But I can't be sure...what you say is a good possibility. [Smile] I hadn't thought of that.
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
Wieczorek,
The problem with the concentration solution is impossible due to how the creation of the new bodies was unconcious in the first place. It is built on the same premise of how Ender was devoting attention to his three bodies. Like he told Miro, it is all unconcious and he therefore had no control over it. Same reason why Ender was afraid to travel outside again, after the first time. He was afraid uncociously that he would create more little beings.
~Treaty~
sign below
x__ LockeTreaty __

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I remember reading dialogue like that in the Speaker series, but I also remember reading information that took place while Ender, Ela, and Miro were in the Outside. Ender thought to himself and realized that Ela was concentrating so deeply on getting the recolada as a replacement for the descolada, so her mind had no time to think of anything else. So, it was really a lack of concentrating that contrived the new Valentine and Peter from Ender's mind. So it could really go both ways... [Smile]

Edit - spelling [Blushing]

[ September 28, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

Thats true but she wasn't sharing her aiua with the recolada. Ender was.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Ender was sharing his auia with the recolada? ...can you elaborate? I'm afraid it's a little fuzzy...
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

Sorry for the miscommunication. I was refering to how Ender was sharing his aiua with his two offspring.
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't wanna wait for the rest of the series to come out, I'll just make up my own story in my mind...with hookers...and blackjack.
(isn't that from Futurama)

How long do you think it will take for OSC to start writing these books?

Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

My best estimate is two to three years before it starts, and three to four before we see it in hardback. The reason being the movie. Woohoo!! [Big Grin]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I understand now, Locke.

I am also anticipating the movie's arrival with unbridled excitement!! [Party]

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, are we sure that Ela isn't sharing her aiua with the recolada? [Eek!]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

yes. Why you might ask. Because of Ockham's razor. The simpilest answer most likely is the answer.
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

And if you have doubts just reread the section concerning the first trip outside.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I don't believe Ela is sharing her auia with the recolada, but...hey, that makes sense! To create something in Outside, you have to give part of yourself to it. Jane was advanced enough to be able to control that, but I wonder...Maccabeus, I think you might be on to something.

Has anyone ever noticed how Ockham's razor and Mazer Rackham are very similar.
Ockham Razor Mazer Rackham
Rockham Mazor
Rackham Mazer = Mazer Rackham
Hmmm...

LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

Ockham's razor would suggest that it's a coincidence, but who knows it could be...
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall having read OSC stating somewhere that this was on purpose. I'll look for it when I ave time.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Or rather, sort of.

http://www.hatrack.com/research/questions/q0042.shtml

quote:
There is a sort of euphonious similarity between "Mazer Rackham" and "Ockham's razor," but it is pure coincidence (or unconscious resonance). The name "Mazer" came from the name of an old building on the Brigham Young University campus and the first president of BYU, for whom it was named; the name Rackham came from the children's book illustrator. The names were chosen simply because they sounded good to me and suggested a combination of national heritages in a future in which cultures and races have hodged and podged. But it might well be that the reason the name sounded good to me was because of the familiar phrase "Ockham's razor."

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Thanks Megachirops and Locke.

I have been curious about that for some time now [Big Grin]

*edit - "some time s "

[ October 28, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.