FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » connection from SFTD to Ender's Shadow??

Author Topic: connection from SFTD to Ender's Shadow??
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
In SFTD, remember how Novinha and her children's last name is "Ribiera" and in Ender's Shadow, Bean and Carlotta stay in "Ribeirao Preto"? Does anyone think that the two might be connected? I mean, in SFTD, Earth doesn't exist anymore; when people find out that Ender (who they know as Andrew) speaks English, they say things like, "Isn't that the language they used on Earth?" and when they find out Ender is Ender, they say things that lead you to believe that Earth is existent no longer. Maybe Ender and Petra's baby (babies, if they have more), will grow up in Ribeirao Preto. Maybe in a future book, they Petra will have to change her name or her children's names to protect from something and they choose their last name to be "Ribiera", a version of "Ribeirao" and then the kids grow up and marry, and their children will do the same, and so on and so on, until (thousands of years later, maybe a few hundred years before the time of SFTD) just one or two of Bean and Petra's descendants go to a habitable place in space (being Lusitania) and the family continues to grow. Maybe Marcao (remember the Ribeirao is a descendant of Bean and Petra, and this is why he can't have kids (Bean has a kind of disability or disease, so maybe it just alters from generation to generation). So since Marcao can't have kids, Novinha has kids with Libo. Maybe Marcao just happens to be a mean descendant, hah, mean bean...hehehe. Well, I just thought that this all made sense. What do you think???
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

[ August 24, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain that Bean's kids will somehow find their way into Ender's story (many science fiction writers like to have their stories all tied together, makes things interesting). How this happens, I have no idea. Remember, it doesn't have to be thousands of years before they meet. Some of them could simply travel in space for a couple weeks (which would equal a couple hundred years Earth-time). Some people here have proposed that Bean will have something to do with Wang-mu's origin.

Wait and see! [Wink]

[ August 24, 2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Morgaine ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about any connection between Bean and Petra's children, although I think Bean would be Catholic if he claimed a religion since he was raised by a nun, and they did seem to really like Brazil, and Lusitania was a colony of Brazilian catholics. I don't remember Novinha's family name, but her parents were "freakishly" brilliant and studied genetics, the same with her, and most of her children, maybe they could be desended from Bean and Petra.

Still I think the most likely link (though it doesn't involve Bean) is that Ot Soup from Ender's Jeesh is chinese and his real name is Han tzu, and Path is a chinese planet where Han fei-tzu lives. And hey if you could pick someone's DNA to play and make genetically engineered leaders, why not start with a family desended from one of the greatest and smartest leaders in history. I'm kind of figuring that since they gave him so much control in Shadow Puppets he will be a legendary leader or national heroe or something in the next book.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

Whoa, odd concept just jumped out from your post. You don't suppose that different countries from Earth, along with their resident Battle School genius, was responsible for the colonies in space? Han Tzu and the Chinese have their planet, Bean/Petra will have their planet (although which nationality is anyone's guess, possibly as wieczorek said Brazilian), Alai and the Muslims will keep Earth (it seems they'll conquer it by the end of the Shadow series) and so on? It doesn't sound plausible, but this is science fiction, anything can happen.

(Problem: Where would the pequeninos come from?)

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that many of the colonies will be made up of primarily one nationality, but I dont think that each country will have just one planet for itself.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
Im also curious as the what made you think that earth no longer exists in speaker. you may be right, but that was never the impression i got.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always looked at it this way:

Earth is still around, and is still one of the most important planets in Congress. However, many cultures and tribes seized upon the opportunity to found new colonies -- away from a larger culture -- and consequently took off to start up planets where they could be "free" to live the way they wanted to live (but felt too oppressed by the larger cultures of Earth to manage while there).

Consequently, you have planets full of ancestor-worshipping Chinese, whalers from Norway, and Brazilian Catholics, all of which get a vote or two in a loosely-knit "Congress" of worlds still dominated -- but mainly unenforceably, due to interstellar distances -- by Earth.

Since this is a favorite theme of Card's -- smaller cultures playing out their desires and biases as part of a larger patchwork -- I'm sure that's pretty much as far as he took the idea.

--------

It's also worth noting that Han Tzu is one of the most famous Chinese philosophers. While it's certainly possible that Path is in some way related to Hot Soup -- or Bean -- it's just as likely that Han Tzu is a popular name among parents of intelligent Chinese children in the future. It'd be like naming your kid Benjamin Franklin.

[ August 25, 2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ribeirao Preto means "Black River" and Ribeira is a ridiculously common latin name...I doubt the two have any connection...but I am excited when everyone discusses the 'connection' between the two series'. It's going to be fun to see how it happens.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

That makes a lot sense. Think - Path could be descended from Han Tzu. Then Divine Wind might be Suri, b/c even though Suri was in battle school and very smart to have been in Dragon, he wasn't in Ender's final jeesh on Eros. Bean and Petra could be Lusitania - Portuguese people on Lusitania and Bean and Petra seemed to have an affinity for lush, green, hispanic countries and what not. Alai kept Earth, if it still existed, maybe I'm wrong about Earth's nonexistence 3,000 years later... [Smile] The reason I think Alai kept Earth was because in Shadow Puppets when Petra and Bean find out that he is Caliph, Alai says that his ideal world, although he won't sink to violence to make it exist, would be to have a world full of Muslims, like him...so maybe all of the other people just filter out and Alai's ideal world comes into existence. Who, else could there be? Well, I wonder what happens to Peter and his family? I'm not sure. Vlad...he was Russian, any people-inhabited planet in space that's full of Russians in the Ender or Shadow books? Crazy Tom, was he American? And DuChuvel was French. What happens to Shen and what nationality is he?? Also, is there a planet full of Dutch people, meaning Dink's descendants?? We all know what happens to Ender after the third bugger war. So that covers Ender, Alai, Bean, Petra, Shen, Crazy Tom, Vlad, Han Tzu, Dink, and who is the other person in Ender's jeesh??? This is going to bug me until I find out, trusty old Ender's Shadow - hear I come!!
[Smile]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then Divine Wind might be Suri
Divine Wind was a Japanese culture. Suri was NOT Japanese. That would be Shen [Embarrassed] )
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For that matter, I really HATE the idea that all the colonies might have been started by Battle School kids. I'm very, very glad that nothing we've seen so far suggests that this might be the case.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
People keep saying that Bean and Petra started Lusitania, but it said at Philotic Web that their kid will meet up with Ender-as-Peter and deal with the descolada. That kinda disproves that theory. Also, Bean wouldn't have lived long enough to travel in space. I know there's all of that time stuff, but they couldn't exactly have just jumped on a shuttle and said let's go to Lusitania. I'm pretty sure the books said that Lusitania was a fairly new colony (around the time of Pipo and Libo maybe).

-Julie

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starman
Member # 5577

- posted      Profile for Starman   Email Starman         Edit/Delete Post 
haha it is very good.. Petra and Beanīs baby..
I donīt read Shadow puppets, but in Shadow of the Hegemon bean say: "He donīt want married" or something in this sence.
I thought Petra and Petrīs baby.. atc. [ROFL]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, how do a Greek and an Armenian breed black Brazilians?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I dunno, and it doesn't make sense. But remember how Bean says to Petra, "When I go to ... I look rather light, and when I go ... I look rather dark." So, this proves that Bean's skin is kind of dark to begin with, and some Armenians have darker skin. So, maybe Lusitania is really close to a heat source and over thousands of years the people evolved. It's inevitable for evolution to come upon every specie eventually, animal and man alike. But on the covers of the Shadow books, it shows Bean as a kid with blonde hair, and not many people with dark skin have naturally blonde hair, so...maybe it's a mistake in the book. But, remember how one time, long ago, OSC posted this thread that asked for help about Ender's Shadow. OSC said that he was worried that he had contradicted himself because when they introduced Ender's Dragon army in EG, OSC said that there was a very, very small black kid. OSC worried that he had contradicted himself by calling Bean black. So, for all we know, Bean is black and Petra's genes (in their baby) was recessive and they remained recessive, hardly ever showing throughout every one of their descendants. Just as it was shown when Petra had the invetro fertilization done. Their were eight of the embryos and Volescu said three were with Anton's Key, so they disposed of them. Later Petra found out that those three were the ones without Anton's Key, infact, meaning ensurance of Anton's Key being dominant in offspring was more than 50%. There were 5 with Anton's Key, and 3 without, making the chances better that Bean's genes would be dominant.
[Smile]

Julie
Member # 5580

Actually what Petra found out was that Volescu didn't have the slightest clue which embryos had Anton's key and which didn't, and it's possible that none did because when you're dealing with genetics it's a 50% chance for each individual embryo to have it, not that 50% of the embryos on average would.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know- the muslims cannot have taken over earth unless peter happens to be leading them because at the end of Ender's Game Ender converses with peter about how he took over the world.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

Polemarch, the taking over the world bit could also just have easily referred to Peter becoming Hegemon, which was a world leadership position.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Julie, by saying "...and it's possible that none did..." did you mean that none were with Anton's Key or that none were normal and without alterations?
Polemarch, how do you know Peter didn't lead the muslims? He had no one else to help or lead.
[Smile]

Julie
Member # 5580

either way. I think I meant it's possible that none had Anton's key turned. It's also possible that all did.

Edited because what I put was redundant and repetitive and redundant.

[ August 27, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Julie ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.