FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » A thought

Author Topic: A thought
Borommakot
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Borommakot   Email Borommakot         Edit/Delete Post 
I had thought of this before but finally decided that I would ask this question "has any japanese anime director or company offered to do a Anime version of Ender's Game or any of OSC's other great novels or stories?" I think with most live action movies based on books seem to lose the parts of the book that made the books great because a) the special effects that would be needed to create the effects aren't just available b) even if the special effects are available at the time of production it would put the film too far out of budget to add the effects c)the movie companies directors normally don't care if they butcher parts of the books or make it so that fans would enjoy it b/c it might possibly be confusing to others that don't know the story which would cause people to not come to see it. I'm sorry for rambling on again. Thanks for anyone that actually listened to what i said.

Your Friend,

Awaiting Cremation

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that most current fans of Ender's Game would take the time to see any version of it that was filmed, including an Anime version. But almost no one else would.

I am not a "fan" of anime (I'm not saying I don't like it, just that I have really never seen it), and I am having a hard time naming even one anime film that has ever been in the theaters, let alone one that was commercially sucessfull in the US.

I'm not sure what all of OSC's motivations are for wanting a film version of his book, but for me, it would include presenting the story to a wider audience. I don't think that that would be achieved with anything other than a big-budget Hollywood spectacular.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with pwiscombe. Also, because that would be more like just a cartoon, younger kids might want to see it too, so there might be a tendency to get rid of some of the things that would be considered inappropriate for younger viewers (the fight with Bonzo, just how bad Bean's life on the street is, and anything to do with Achilles for instance) and that would take a lot away from the movie.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anime would increase the viewership, if anything. Anime fans tend to go to any anime feature film en masse in order to support anime, plus it would draw fans of the books. It would be a much safer investment than a live action film, because it already has an audience in place that can be depended upon. And anime is not for little kids at all!!!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
If pixar would do it...like a really cool non- cartoony 3D animation...yes. that would rock.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hummph! [Wink]
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what pwiscombe and Julie were saying is that Anime only appeals to a certain audience. Real fans would go see it regardless of what type of movie it is, granted. But, in order to present the story to as large an audience as possible, you would aim for a type of film that most people go to. These days, it's either computer animation (if your target is children) or huge Hollywood blockbusters (if the target is anyone).

[ August 27, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Morgaine ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
My point was not that anime is for kids, I don't think that's true. My point is that a lot of little kids would see a commercial of an animated kid in space and beg to see the movie. And parents might not know that there is a difference between anime and regular cartoons. So you may end up with a younger audience than intended causing parents to become upset and bad publicity. Though some people say any publicity is good publicity. I'm just rambling now. I'll stop... now.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say anime was for kids either. But it's a certain group of people only who like it.

For the kids, it seems that computer animated movies are the biggest ones (Ice Age, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. . . . ).

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
The most commercially successful full length anime feature would probably be Spiritied Away but I don't know if it even was a huge money maker. According to a search anime has come up 104 times on Hatrack, so it is popular among many OSC fans. The cartoon networks top ratings come from blocks of anime shows (yay [Big Grin] Inu Yasha is back [Big Grin] ). And I'm pretty sure that TECHTV must be getting big ratings when they anime unleashed, or they wouldn't show it ten times a day. So if there were an EG anime movie it would have two built in and ver dedicated audiences, that might be enough to entice a studio.

It really would make alot of sense to convert any book into an anime movie. I am not by any means a huge anime expert, I mainly just catch the one's I like on TV, but from what I have seen it is pretty normal for a characters thaughts and internal struggles to heard, I think this would be good for a lot of books. Also, I may be wrong here but it seems that alot of stories in anime are epics, and are told in multiple parts, even if they are supposed to be just one story. This would work well for the Ender's Game series, but since the studio would probably not change from live action to an anime film if that whasn't what they had planned for the movie when they made whatever their exact deal with Mr. Card is. Still their are plenty of other works by Card that would make good anime movies, I think Treasure Box and Homebody would, the Homecoming Series seems like a good candidate, and of course Enchantment. I just want to see a story by an American writer done in anime with Russian accents, that just seems very interesting to me.

[ August 28, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
We have dedicated anime fans, and dedicated Ender's Game fans. As noted, the two groups often overlap. But the sum of those two groups actually a relatively small audience.

The thinking out loud that occurs in some anime is mostly irritating to me, actually.

Why animate it? Tell me one good reason why animation would serve the story better than live action? The only answer is that the special effects will be a bit tricky (and for FX buffs, that is actually a plus) and the problem of casting and filming lots of children. Both of these are problems that can be overcome. With Wolfgang Peterson at the head, I'm very confident we can get good acting out of the children that are cast.

[ August 29, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether I think Ender's Game would be a good anime show, it depends on what stance they take on it... *scratches head* Yes, I suppose that Ender's Game would make a good anime show. Yes Borommakot, I think that it would be a good idea and no, I don't know if any Anime director or Japanese Anime Artist has made the honorable offer. [Big Grin]
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
i just think it would take out some of the realism of it. Enders game is more of a real story..... if you know what i mean. So i think it would just lose the affect that real actors would have.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The animated version of "Lord of the Rings" was regrettable. But then, so was the feature film of "Dune". The main thing to remember is that these are precisely the reasons OSC has held out for control in the production.

It's also comforting to see that LOTR was eventually realized as a film trilogy that is shaping up pretty well, and "Dune" became a miniseries that worked, in my supercilious opinion, pretty well. I think "Starship Troopers" deserves another chance. Anyone else look back and see that as when things started to go wrong with Sci Fi?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.