FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Seeking an audience with the pope

Author Topic: Seeking an audience with the pope
Túrin
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Túrin   Email Túrin         Edit/Delete Post 
If a movie does get made of Dogwalker, then it must, absolutely must, include the phrase "seeking an audience with the pope." I hope it doesn't get cut to avoid offending Catholics or something.

It's certainly not a subject I discuss if I can help it, but when it's absolutely necessary, this is the phrase my friends and I use. I think it'd be great to see it become common usage. It's actually the most polite and euphemistic phrase I can think of.

I mention it because a friend of mine just told me that Cyndi Lauper's song "She Bop" was code for seeking an audience with the pope, and I had had no idea. He hadn't either. Of course I hadn't ever paid attention to the lyrics either, since I frequently don't with pop songs.

Anyway.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, alrighty, then.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the first thing I thought when I heard She Bop. "Damn, this girl obviously wants an audience with the Pope."
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Um?

[Confused]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a euphemism, Icarus. I can't be relieved about this thread. Does this give you enough information?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure "zip down and show me the pope" is in there somewhere. If not, I bet it will make the next draft [Smile]
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, alrighty, then.
Kayla, this made me LOL!!!11one on the internet.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.