FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Author Topic: Rime of the Ancient Mariner
WanderingCat
Member # 3385

- posted      Profile for WanderingCat   Email WanderingCat         Edit/Delete Post 
In the end of the Rime, the Mariner explains that he has to tell his tale to someone basically everytime he sees someone like he used to be. Did Uncle Orson have any influence form the romantic writers in the Alvin series?

Cat

Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly. But then, most authors are influenced by many types of books, either subconsciously or deliberately.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to refuse to read because I wanted to be a writer and didn't want others to be interfering with my "authetic voice". The I went the other way and was overwhelmed by how much I need to read to be considered literate. Now I think I've just been making silly excuses to avoid my fear of failure.

If I remember my AP English course, I think there are like 7 themes that all stories can be reduced to. Or 4 story types, or whatever.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean in addition to the fact that Taleswapper is William Blake?

The Alvin books are filled with the culture and personalities of early 19th century European and American history -- which means that, of course, the Romantics are going to be in play.

-----
As far as the Rime goes -- whether OSC took that trope directly from Coleridge or not, my guess is that the idea isn't indigenous to Coleridge. It's one of those things that probably winds its way through much of the formal and folk literatures of European history (and perhaps beyond). In fact, my mind is slightly tickling about some piece of classic Greek or Roman literature/mythology where the 'have to tell the tale' makes an appearance.

Somewhere in _The Odyssey_? Can't remember.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.