FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is there a particular person you think of when you read any of OSC's books?

Author Topic: Is there a particular person you think of when you read any of OSC's books?
Shartae
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for Shartae   Email Shartae         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesnt matter what Ender book it is, I always think of Ender Wiggin as Trowa Barton from GW anime series... It all just fell into place like that with a few other characters comming into play...

do you ever find yourself doing that and it never changes?

Shartae

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa Nu
Member # 5471

- posted      Profile for Nessa Nu   Email Nessa Nu         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's say it used to happen to me when I was a teenager [Big Grin] , now not so much anymore. When I would read I would sometimes see certain singers, actors etc. I liked at that time [Blushing] . Silly, uh?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Not for me. Heck, I have no clue what the faces of any of the OSC charecters look like. Whenever I picture them in my mind I can never picture the faces, I'm not sure how that works... [Confused] [Dont Know] [Confused]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I do get mental images of the characters, but not necessarily of anyone in particular. Go figure. [Dont Know]
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
What unohoo said. Sometimes I'll have to adjust my idea of a character as OSC adds a new description to them. For instance, it really was weird when I learned that Lusitanians were black, especially because I was picturing most of the females with light blond hair, and Libo as a Mexican (I still don't know why), because his name sounded Spanish to me.

[ September 21, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always reminded of my sister* for OSC's chavinist characters, I'm reminded of my dad** for unreasonable ones, and my mom for over-emotional characters.***

-NOTE: The above is a great over-exaggeration. [Big Grin]

Footnotes:
*I love my sister, but she can be a female chauvinist at times.
**I love my dad, but he is unreasonable quite often.
***I love my mom, but she gets emotional whenever you have a conflict with her.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico
Member # 4617

- posted      Profile for Nico   Email Nico         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why, but the first time that I read EG I imagine Bean was a black kid and I still do!
Mind's trick... [Confused]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a lady named Petra who was a blond German. So I have a hard time shaking that image. Alvin always comes up as a certain religious celebrity . On the cover art for Homecoming, the character I presume to be Elemak is called "Uncle Richard" by my daughter. I imagine him to be much bigger.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marie Lu
Member # 5738

- posted      Profile for Marie Lu   Email Marie Lu         Edit/Delete Post 
I've personally always pictured Haley Joel Osment whenever I think of Ender. I know, I know...pretty uninteresting, but I can't help it--to me, that kid just oozes Ender!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan_Larsen
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for Ryan_Larsen   Email Ryan_Larsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, I don't have any specific person in mind for the characters of any book... except two. The main character usually looks somewhat like me (if male) and his female counterpart usually looks like my current romantic interest. I don't know if anyone else does that... could just be one of my quirks. Every other character usually develops facial features, etc, throughout the book.

One exception to this is when I have seen the movie version of a book... that usually locks in appearance for me.... (sometimes that's annoying, too....)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

Nico, you may be more on the mark about Bean than you think you are. More of his ancestry is revealed in Shadow Puppets, which I am presently reading. Let me just say that part of his ancestry is African.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else, but i always see Ender as a young Haley Joel Osment (6th sense kid). And, i feel kind of stupid saying this but, i imagine valentine to look like me.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico
Member # 4617

Really??? that's weird...
But in EG says that Bean is greek.

right unohoo? or I wondering all over again?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

He is Greek, Nico, but of mixed origin. In Shadow Puppets Bean reveals that his mother's mother was an Ibo diplomat. Which means that he has some African ancestry. [Smile]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Lusitanians were black!!! I totally did not know this. They're probably going to stay Spanish/ Mexican like in my mind, 'cause it's too late to change that idea. Anyway, that's like 4,000 years from now, I imagine by that time everyone will be so mixed racially no one will be black, or hispanic, or anything.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Racial mixing isn't like spilling paint. [Roll Eyes] Not that you implied there was anything bad about this, but it's kind of like the idea that if we keep allowing caesarian births, everyone will wind up having small hips.

Edit: And I don't get the Osment connection. He's so sensitive looking. Yeah he looks intelligent and empathetic, but half of what Ender brought to the program was ruthlessness. As long as we are weighing candidates who are too old anyway, why not McCauley Caulkin? jk

[ October 01, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Racial mixing isn't like spilling paint. Not that you implied there was anything bad about this, but it's kind of like the idea that if we keep allowing caesarian births, everyone will wind up having small hips.
Pooka -- I honestly don't know what you are trying to say here. I don't understand your point about the paint, nor the ceasarian births. Could you elaborate?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

What is this, 1890? Aquired charictaristics are not transmitable, and not all people born with c-section have small hips.
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

What Ryan said, though I wouldn't go to the extreme of maxing out my smilies on headbangers. I am biracial and people are always thinking it's weird that I married a white guy. Like I should have stuck to my own kind. I have only met one guy who was my specific bi-race besides my brothers. Sorry if I get a little snippy about it.
Nico
Member # 4617

Let me ask you guys something...

I don't remember if in SFTD says that portugueses fellas are black...so I ask...what do you think about the brazilians, are they all black people?
or like blacwolve said...spanish/mexican biotype?

Answer sincerely

Ps: I'm a brazilian one

Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that more than one person has imagined characters that look like oneself, and wonders if there is something "crazy" about that.
You are in good company!

In Card's book, "Characters and Viewpoints" he mentions how his editor and his publisher objected to the fact that he had never described Dinah Kirkham. He asked them how they visualized Dinah. Each woman described herself.

I always see Card's women as tall and brunette, unless otherwise described. Guess what? I am 5'10"
with brown hair and eyes.

[ROFL]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
This is how I always picture Bean.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
i had seen The Abyss countless times before i read OSC's written version. even so, i didn't really picture the actors as i was reading it. i don't really picture specific characteristics unless they're mentioned. for me the characters are just kind of general entities -- male or female, young or old.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I can't picture their faces either. But I can for a lot of other books.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there a particular person you think of when you read any of OSC's books?

Yeah. I think of OSC. I wonder when he will publish another book.

:-p

Oh, and I think of this when I read about Bean.

:-p

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
I picture the characters in my mind when I read books. They don't really remind me of anyone in particular. I just picture them the way Orson describes them to me. That is why I really hate it when they put some artist's perception of the character on the front of a book. It is never like I imagined in my own mind and it really ticks me off. [No No] For instance, the picture on the front of the Crystal City is the worst!!!!
Haley Joel Osment(is that spelled right?) for Ender? Oh, please, NO. . .
He's a girl. And I'll never get the image of "I see dead people," out of my mind.

[ October 16, 2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: UTAH ]

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
i wasn't so sure about haley joel osment, either, even though i think he's a good actor, but lucky for those who don't see him as ender, he's no longer the cute little kid from A.I. and The Sixth Sense. i'm fairly certain he's just too old now. oh well.

[ October 16, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.