FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin Maker

Author Topic: Alvin Maker
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Orson Scott Card has a heck of an imagination.
Books like "Pastwatch: The redemption of Christopher Colombus" and the Alvin Maker series remind me of daydreams I used to have a lot when I was a little kid [Smile] . Anyboby else feel that way?

Dang, OSC's books are just so riveting, too. I just picked up Heartfire and spent almost all day reading it cover-to-cover!

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can't put them down usually. I used to think it meant they must be bad for me. You know, "an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly"
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
heh [Big Grin] might be true! I sure to spend a lot of time on them. Not as bad as hatrack can be, but close. [Frown]
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sackler
Member # 5683

- posted      Profile for sackler   Email sackler         Edit/Delete Post 
You're tellin me - up until a month ago I had never heard of OSC's writing, but once I started reading Ender's Game I couldn't stop. I finished COTM yesterday - thats 3,000 pages of OSC in four weeks. An "addictive chemical" indeed. I can't wait for Shadow of the Giant.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greensong Rose
Member # 5590

- posted      Profile for greensong Rose   Email greensong Rose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glued to Heartfire. I hardly took time to eat and sleep when I was reading Alven Journeyman. I've gained a little self control, but not a whole lot. [Razz] I've also started reading Uncle Orson's weekly column in the Rhino Times. So funny! [ROFL]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
uh, i know what you mean. I'm always reading an OSC book, even the 5th time through i still don't want to put it down! Anybody got a cure? i guess if your here reading this post you probably haven't found a cure though....
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The cure is to read it 100 times, then your even more hooked but you no longer care. I know, I've done it. [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity Hobbes, what is the most amount of times you have read an OSC book?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ummm, it's Ender's Game for sure, but I didn't keep an exact count. I know that it's well over 100, but I'm not sure if it's 120, or 160, or some where in between.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Heh, that's odd.
Of the ~20? OSC books I've read, the only one I've re-read is Speaker for the Dead. That maybe twice.

roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a bit strange, as most people have re-read Ender's Game. Back on topic, though ...

I absolutely LOVE the Alvin Maker series. I'm in an AP US History class right now, and we're currently covering the battle of 'Tippy-canoe' or Tippecanoe as we know it. I never knew that the books were at least minimal historical fiction, and that makes them all the better! [Smile]

Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes just outa curiotsy after 100+ times have you memorized EG so you can read it in you'r mind or do you still need the actuall book? [Confused] [Big Grin]

[ October 13, 2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

<grin> I actually haven't read it in a good while, it was in around 7th through 9th grade that I did most of that reading. Really, though I did read through the book that many times, it's kind of cheating since I was speed reading through a lot of those.

Hobbes [Smile]

Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
i've read Ender's Game maybe about... *shrugs* ten times. The Shadow series twice, ES 3 times. i never reread the speaker series. ES never gets old, i swear. there's so much in it, the third time i read it i couldnt believe how much i had missed before. but i've got it down pat now. [Smile]
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Until the next time you read it. [Wink]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read EG maybe ten times, but that's the most for me. I've reread most of the other Ender and Shadow books, and I will be rereading the Alvin Maker books soon, I haven't read any of the others more than three or four times. I love OSC's books, but there're other books I want to get to as well! [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.