FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Terrible Choice?

Author Topic: Terrible Choice?
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this book about? The link to the store doesn't say anything about the book that I can find, so I'm left puzzled.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go here it says
quote:
Using overviews of and highlights from many of Card’s works – both popular and lesser known – Tyson reveals how the central theme of the Terrible Choice runs through all of Card’s works. With settings ranging from biblical times to historical periods and fictitious planets, Card explores such plot lines as how a singing voice can be used as a weapon, how a young woman can lead a quest, and how love can transcend time. New fans of Card’s works will gain a thorough introduction to his writings, while existing fans will discover qualities of Card’s writing they never suspected.

Edith Tyson, now retired, is a former instructor of English at the University of New Mexico and, later, Clarion University of Pennsylvania. She has worked as a general reference and young adult librarian.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that looks really good!! I'll have to check it out.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
it says the author of the terrible choice, did he write a book called the terrible choice or am i just missing something?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC likes to put his characters in positions where they have to make terrible choices.

Warning: There are some spoilers here.

Do the xenobiologists wipe out a species that may be sentient in order to save another species they KNOW is sentient?

Does the king allow his daughter's heart to be broken so her curse can be lifted?

Does a man allow himself to harvest people, peice by piece, for man-eating rulers, so as to save thier lives?

These are the types of "terrible choices" the title refers to. Usually some situation where a good person is forced to choose among options that all seem bad.

(edited to fix an odd bit of punctuation)

[ October 09, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: docmagik ]

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ksig, the author is a she. [Smile]

Basically it means that his stories all involve his charecters making terrible (hard) choices, not a book called that. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.