FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Favorite Quotes!

Author Topic: Favorite Quotes!
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
from any of OSC's books. *spoilers for ES and EG*

From ES: "So he'd please the teachers, impress the hell out of them, so they'd keep opening doors for him, until one day they'd open a door and his friend Ender would be on the other side, and he would be in Ender's army again."

"'Welcome home, little brother,' Nikolai said. 'I told you they were nice.'"

from EG: "Killing's the first thing we learned. and a good thing we did, or we'd be dead and tigers would own the earth."

"There was no doubt now in Ender's mind. There was no help for him. Whatever he did, now and forever, he was alone. Peter might be scum, but Peter had been right, always right. The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't then you are always subject to those who can and nothing and no one will ever save you."

"An enemy, Ender Wiggin. I am your enemy. The first one you've ever had who's smarter than you. There is no teacher like the enemy. No one but the enemy will teach you to destroy and conquer. No one but the enemy will show you where you are weak. No one but the enemy wil show you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are, what you can do to him and what you can keep him from doing to you. I am your enemy, from now on. From now on, i am your teacher."

the whole conversation when Graff comes to his home to get Ender is all really strong too.

i'm sorry if theres already a topic for this, but what are some of your favorites?

[ November 01, 2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Poseidon ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
EG:"Early to bed and early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes."
-Mazer Rackham

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want some of the really good quotes go to the home screen and near the bottom of the page there is a link for quotes. Last I checked it hadn't been updated for months, but if you haven't seen it it's worth a look.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Faith doesn't mean that you have no doubts. It means that you never act on your doubts."
(from SARAH)

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
Julie I like the early to bed quote too.

[ November 03, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Jane in Xenocide (paraphrased because I can’t find my copy of it): “The best way to get someone to stop doing something is to make them want to stop doing it.”
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
From Enchantment:

"No, Father. You don't have faith in a rational universe. This is a universe where nothing can move faster than the utterly arbitrary speed of 186,000 miles per second, where feathers and rocks fall at the same speed in a vacuum, where a measurable but unexplainable force called gravity binds people to planets and planets to stars, and where a butterfly's wing in China might cause a hurricane in the Caribbean. But you have faith in all this incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo which you don't begin to understand, solely because the priests of the established church of the intellectuals have declared these to be immutable laws and you, being a faithful supplicant at their altar, don't even think to question them."

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no one put this up yet...

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

[Smile]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliphAlai
Member # 5915

- posted      Profile for CaliphAlai   Email CaliphAlai         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a rough quote, cuz I don't feel like going and finding the exact one, but its something along the lines of "Human beings were doing a better job of killing off the human race than anything else ever had." Its from the Shadow Earth series, I think Shadow of the Hegemon, and its said by Peter.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite: "Peter, you're twelve years old. I'm ten. They have a word for people our age. They call us children and treat us like mice."
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite quote doesn't come from OSC at all, actually, but I'm gonna put it in here anyway:

quote:
There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenuine
Member # 5891

- posted      Profile for Brenuine   Email Brenuine         Edit/Delete Post 
CotM: "Please don't disillusion me. I havn't had breakfast yet."

Magson, that is an amazing quote!!! What is it from???

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

Babylon 5, 3rd season episode #22, titled "Z'ha'dum" It was the final dialogue in the episode. Pretty amazing that it was written by an atheist, no?
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenuine
Member # 5891

- posted      Profile for Brenuine   Email Brenuine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is. All I can say is that person must also possess a pretty open mind. That quote doesn't sound like something that you'd find in a TV series. I've never seen Babylon 5, but many of my friends have said it is good. Is it still on?
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

I think Sci-fi is rerunning it regularly. Seasons 1-3 are out on DVD with Season 4 due out in January. (ARG!!! They missed a Christmas release.)

Season 1 is decent. 2 is VERY good. 3-4 are some of the best TV in any genre. They really thought that it would be canceled after the 4th season, so the story got compressed from 5 years to 4, so it was really pretty much done then.

It got renewed for the 5th season at the last moment, so the creator got to explore a few other things that he'd wanted to include in earlier ones but hadn't been able to squeeze in, but the quality of the storytelling went back to about the 2nd season level. Still very good, but not as good as it had been.

Overall, very good series.

for a big listing of "quoatable quotes" from it, click here.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Magson is right on about the quality of the show and the different seasons. It is some of the best storytelling I have ever experienced.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Babylon 5 is my favorite tv show. We almost got Sci fi channel so we could watch it. Almost all of my favorite quotes are from it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greensong Rose
Member # 5590

- posted      Profile for greensong Rose   Email greensong Rose         Edit/Delete Post 
From "Lost Boys"

We're all chimpanzees under the skin.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

Lost Boys... what a great book... *sniff sniff* [Cry] [Angst]
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelbar Spin
Member # 5791

- posted      Profile for Pelbar Spin   Email Pelbar Spin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wyrms"

"Reality is the most perfect vision of God's will. It's discovering God's will in advance that causes all the trouble."

Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
"And yet we're not irrelevant. Because we are the ones who see the changes, and know them, and understand that they are changes, that once things were different. Everything else in the universe, every living and non-living thing, lives in the infinite now, which never changes, which always is exactly as it is. Only we know the passage of time, that one thing causes another and that we are changed by the past and will change the future." -Issib

had to put something from Homecoming in there [Wink]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Alvin Maker?

from Heartfire

quote:
I promise, I shoot no gooses! Pas de shooting of gooses!
~Audubon

quote:
"I didn't know that I had met your wife, sir," said Purity.
"You haven't," said Alvin. "Don't you remember what Arthur told you about her?"
"That she was a candle."
"Torch," said Alvin.

There's another one I really like, from one of the many Alvin books before Heartfire.. something about how it's good that a person's angry because then at least you know they're listening to you. I think it had something to do with Thrower and Armor of God Weaver.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

oh yeah, that reminds me--

from Seventh Son (paraphrased) "Sometimes you don't have to be a torch to know full well what's in another person's heart."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.