FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » connections between Ender/peter and Jane.

Author Topic: connections between Ender/peter and Jane.
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
after reading children of the mind i was left with a few questions about the bond that exists between Ender,peter,Jane,and the hive queen.
here they are more or less in order
1)since Jane is the bridge that connects Ender with the hive queen shouldn't she be able to 'listen in' on the conversations between ender and the hive queen? more so because her aiua is contained inside ender? but in the book Ender has to allways tell her what happened between them. also , when ender talkes to the hive queen with everyone else there each one of them(val, miro, plikt, ect.)hears a certain amount of what goes on based on the strength of his/her connection with ender.why does jane not hear anything?
2)now thatEnders auia lives inside peter -will peter be able to comunicate with the hive queen as ender did or does that ability have to do with enders clearness of mind or something?
3)if conversing with the hive queen has to do with Enders unique abilitys -did peter somehow 'inherit' them with all the rest of the stuff he got from ender?

well, if anyone got any answeres for this i'd like to hear them cause i definately dont have any .

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darian Rif
Member # 5888

- posted      Profile for Darian Rif   Email Darian Rif         Edit/Delete Post 
> 1)since Jane is the bridge that connects Ender > with the hive queen shouldn't she be able
> to 'listen in' on the conversations between
> ender and the hive queen?

--snip--

> why does jane not hear anything?

It could be that at the time Ender spoke with the Hive Queen, Jane had no physical form of her own. Perhaps the Hive Queen's communication through the philotic webs connecting them simply stimulates brain cells and Jane, being an intelligent computer program, had no brain cells to stimulate.

Also, remember that Jane USED to be the connection. The buggers used her to FIND Ender, but once they had, they forgot about her. Because they had a direct connection to Ender, they no longer had to go THROUGH Jane.

> 2)now thatEnders auia lives inside peter -will > peter be able to comunicate with the hive
> queen as ender did or does that ability have
> to do with enders clearness of mind or
> something?

It's possible that Peter/Ender still has a philotic connection to the Hive Queen since it's nothing more than a connection between the auiras, and Ender's auira is now in Peter.

3)if conversing with the hive queen has to do with Enders unique abilitys -did peter somehow 'inherit' them with all the rest of the stuff he got from ender?

Kind of answered above. I feel Ender's greatest ability was the speed at which he made new philotic connections (or friends). There is every reason to believe this had to do with Ender's auira. Peter/Ender might not gain Ender's memories, but the auira's connections would probably transfer over. I expect Peter to be a smart-ass, arrogant version of Ender. He grates on your nerves, but you just HAVE to love him (not TOO far from the REAL Peter when you think of it).

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
thanx! but there's still one more thing.
quote:
at the time ender spoke with the hive queen jane had no phisical form of her own
but now she DOES!so will that mean that when (or IF)peter speaks to the hive queen jane will be able to hear?
or maby she will be able to talk with the HQ herself!
...i wonder how they'd get along...

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darian Rif
Member # 5888

- posted      Profile for Darian Rif   Email Darian Rif         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think NOW, Jane could hear a conversation between Peter and the Hive Queen, provided she was close enough. Remember, they could only HEAR her when they were in her chamber (and closely connected to Ender). I want to say it had something to do with the human body not really being geared for it or something.

Also, I'm sure Jane could speak to the Hive Queen. She already has a direct connection. Remember, she WAS the bridge for the Hive Queen, so naturally, she already has a connection to her.

Perhaps, if she tried, Jane could even speak to her at any distance since she shares time with the Piggies' Trees and they can talk to the Hive Queen directly.

As far as how they'd get along? [Big Grin]

They'd probably be like Ender and the Hive Queen. Most of Jane's personality comes from being so closely tied to Ender.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.