FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Maps in a Mirror

Author Topic: Maps in a Mirror
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of reading Maps in a Mirror (OSC's collection of short stories). Just thought I'd ask the others of you that have read that collection, which short story was your favorite?

I'm reading one each night before going to sleep. Last night, I read "In the Doghouse" and was just roaring with laughter. It's amazing how versatile a writer OSC is.

Sorry if this question has been posed before -- this side doesn't get many "new" threads, so thought I'd start one.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Saving Grace."

I am surprised that Card has not reprinted it in any of his smaller, more up-to-date collections,
or put it on audiotape.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot say that I enjoyed it, but Eumenities in a Fifth Floor Lavatory has haunted me ever since I first read it.

I think that I liked Lost Boys the best. I loved the short story so much that I never read the novel (as if that made any sense). I've owned it for years, but just haven't gotten around to reading it...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I can agree that "Eumenities" would be haunting. But not nearly so much so as the one that gave me nightmares -- I don't have the book with me right now, so can't remember the title, but the story in which the man has to die over and over and over again as they try to get him to say that communism is wonderful, etc., and he remembers each death until he finally gets hardened to the whole process. Man -- that one kept me from reading anything else for a few days -- how many sick ways can OSC think of for someone to die? It hurt just to read it.

Don't think I've got to Saving Grace yet. Just finished Unaccompanied Sonata

FG

[ December 02, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl,

You don't need to read the stories in order, you know!

A short story collection is like an encyclopedia, or a dictionary, or a phone book. You use it in the order that you please.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah, but I figured I would just go in order so that I don't forget which ones I've read, and which I haven't. But actually I did skip ahead last night --- because my son had borrowed the book to read during the day, and I didn't notice my bookmark was moved until later.... <grin>

Farmgirl

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "Deep Breathing Exercises".
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
The one about the alien Robert Redford and the dogs (whose title absolutely escapes me as I read it about five years ago) changed forever the way I look at my dog. I asked her if it was true, but she just looked at me and didn't answer...which of course was entirely inconclusive. [Smile]

And no, I'm not kidding. I really can't look at dogs the same. [Eek!]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Lissande,

Yes -- that one is "In the Doghouse" -- which is the one that prompted me to start this thread (see first post)... It's a great story.

Farmgril

Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl:
That story is "A Thousand Deaths." I just read it during lunch (if you can believe that!).

My favorite is "The Best Day."

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, wasn't sure it was the same one. I read all of those stories exactly once, in the same week, several years ago. They tend to mix together. [Smile] I've noticed that since OSC's short fiction is all so disturbing, I occasionally feel compelled to tell someone one of the stories (helps purge the weirdness). 'So then there was this dog, and it didn't have opposable thumbs...' No one ever seems to understand! [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jestak
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for Jestak   Email Jestak         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...A Thousand Deaths, Fat Farm, and Eye for Eye are my favorites. I think Eye would be excellent with a more detailed storyline in novel form (hint).
Posts: 36 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Unaccompanied Sonata, the one about the Old woman and the dragon, and that was once in an issue of the Ensign about the little girl who wanted to be a writer...that makes me cry.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So no one is a little disturbed by "Kingsmeat"? That makes "Eumenides" almost uplifting, IMO.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Bok

I just purchased Crystal City so I put down Maps in a Mirror for now. When I go back, I'll make sure I read "Kingsmeat" and see what I think.

Farmgirl

Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Memories of my Head, but I have always had a macabre sense of humor.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V Aaron
Member # 6012

- posted      Profile for V Aaron   Email V Aaron         Edit/Delete Post 
Maps in a Mirror is my all-time favorite collection of short fiction by a single author. "Unaccompanied Sonata" is my personal favorite, but not far behind is "Holy." I always figured OSC must have written it on a dare - try to write a powerful and moving story about smearing feces on a rock.

Grandma, an audiotape performance of several of the stories in Maps in a Mirror was released a couple years back. The collection also includes "The Elephants on Posnan," a very good story that as far as I know has never been printed in the English language.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

Yes, V Aaron, I mention both audiotape sets in my book [ORSON SCOTT CARD: Writer of the Terrible Choice]"The Elephants of Posnam and Other Stories"
and "Angles and Other Stories."
But, to the best of my recollection (I don't have the tapes to hand, at the moment) neither one included the story "Saving Grace".
If either one did, my face is red! [Embarrassed]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
"Unaccompanied Sonata" is what got me started as an OSC fan. As a musician, I think it should be required reading for every musician of any stripe.

I will say, however, that I was profoundly disturbed by "Kingsmeat." Not that it's bad...just deeply disturbing.

Interestingly enough, though, "In the Doghouse" makes me very sad.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's in Maps in a Mirror, but "Homeless in Hell" is my favorite short story.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
It is because "Kingsmeat" is so disturbing that it is probably my favorite short story, or at least one of them. Every time I read it I get the same shock and disbelief, and every time I read the last sentence I get a shiver down my spine. Even though I can practically quote it.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lepr
Member # 6043

- posted      Profile for lepr   Email lepr         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorite is the Porcelain Salamander. This choice isn't due to a disturbing memory, but one of emotions from a sweet story of love and loss.

A Thousand Deaths is the only story I have memory of causing a negative physical reaction (I realized I hadn't been breathing for a bit after reading the first death.)

Honorable mentions are A Plague of Butterflies and Fatfarm. (that haven't already been mentioned that is.)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
the porcelain salamander is the first orson scott card story i ever heard. i was about ten or twelve years old, and it remains my favorite to this day.

lovelovelovelovelove...

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I never would've guessed. [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I loved Unaccompanied Sonota. It just moved me, and confused me, and it just made me think a lot, and I like things that are though-provoking like that. It was beautiful. I need to read more of them. I think sometime I'll check it out of the library.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
My Maps in a Mirror just came from Amazon! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
"Holy" and "The Originist"
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel very good about the fact that there are about ten copies of Maps in a Mirror at my local bookstore just waiting to be read by new fans at a newly affordable price. [Smile]

I can't even choose a single favorite story. [Blushing]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(Zotto, doesn't everyone wish that their local bookstore was Powell's?? We Portlanders ROCK!)

I just bought my new beautiful copy today with a gift certificate. It was so exciting. I had been planning to use this gift certificate on something frivolous for ME (instead of textbooks or supplies) and I wanted to choose just the right thing. I had several things in my hand to choose from, including a copy of the Silmarillion and the Count of Monte Cristo. But when I rounded the corner and saw this big beautiful book (that I had forgotten I wanted) I literally gasped, dropped everything else and grabbed it. And it was only $1.95 more than my gift certificate. So happiness reigns.

And now to find a place for it on my bookshelf. Hmmmm *ponders*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved "Homeless in Hell". It reminded me of "The Great Divorce" by C. S. Lewis.

I remember hearing/reading over a decade ago that OSC was going to write a book "Confessions of a Guardian Angel", written in the same vein as "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis. I guess that never happened. Has anybody else heard of this? did Card abandon that idea, or has it just not happened yet? I would love to read a book like that from him.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the note on it from the bibliography:

quote:
"Notes from a Guardian Angel" serialized in 7th East Press, Provo, Utah, during much of 82; the paper was forced out of business before the serial was completed

Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.