FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What order should I read OSC's books in?

Author Topic: What order should I read OSC's books in?
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there have been a billion threads on this topic, but after numerous searches of both forums I can't find them. I've read the EG/Speaker/ES series, the Homecoming series, and am partway through the Alvin Maker series. I'm making my christmas list and I need to know what to put down. I'm hesitant to put down Alvin Maker books because I'm going to want to buy more of them before Christmas and I don't know how far I'll get, so those will wait a little before going on the list. I don't particularly want to read religious books (Sarah, Rebekah, etc.). So what should I ask for? I tried looking at the list inside one of his books, but I wasn't sure if some books went together and if so which should be read first. Suggestions?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
There aren't any other series with more than one book so far -- Lovelock is the first of three, and we have no idea when the second will be out; Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus is also the first in a related group, but we don't know if/when another will come out in that group, either. Pretty much everything else stands on its own, although there are a couple short stories out there that either belong in a series (such as Grinning Man and the soon-to-be-released Yazoo Queen which both fall between Heartfire and The Crystal City), or are related (such as Holy and A Thousand Deaths relating to The Worthing Saga, though it doesn't matter in which order you read them). Well, and the Women of Genesis series, but you already mentioned those.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Thanks.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read the Homecoming Series yet?

This is the order:

The Memory of Earth
The Call of Earth
The Ships of Earth
Earthfall
Earthborn

In general, Card's books in series are:
-The two Ender series (Speaker and Shadow)
-The Alvin Maker series
-THE HOMECOMING SERIES (listed above)
-The Women of Genesis (which you don't want)
-The Mayflower series, (of which only one, LOVELOCK, been written)

Everything else is a stand-alone.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Yes, I have read Homecoming. (I said so in my original post.) I was just curious which of his non-series books are most worth the read so I can ask for those first.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesuit.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much enjoyed The Folk of the Fringe. [Smile]
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Julie,

I recently found myself asking the same question. I had read pretty much all the series and needed to move on to the stand-alone stories.

My personal choice would be to read the Worthing Saga first. It is the only book recently that I have re-read immediately after finishing. I liked it that much.

As far as other stories that you might want to look into, I recommend:

Wyrms (those some dislike this story)
Saints (religious, but not part of a series)
Lovelock (which has already been mentioned)
First Meetings (3 short side storys that add detail to the Ender saga)
Enchantment (retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story)

Hope this helps...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grasshopper
Member # 1055

- posted      Profile for Grasshopper           Edit/Delete Post 
I second the recommendation of The Worthing Saga. I also recommend Treason and Lost Boys.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
I second First Meetings. It gives a lot more insight into some of the semi-minor characters in the Shadow series.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked The Folk of the Fringe a lot also - it's a series of interrelated short(ish) stories, very interesting.

Pastwatch is very clever, and the ideas in it resonated with me for days.

I liked Songmaster a lot too. And Enchantment is lovely!

If you like short stories, then try and get your hands on a copy of Maps in a Mirror. It's out of print right now, but there's a new print run coming out in January.

Mind you, so far I've loved every OSC book I've read: the guy can write, or something. [Smile]

[ December 08, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting Robota for christmas... [Party]

I personally wish I could have read First Meetings before the Ender series, so that is the only update I could offer in my experience. I personally read the Alvin series, Ender series, then Homecoming series. Then the Enders Shadow series came out.

After reflecting on it, I like that order, but the Ender series is my favorite by far!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
The Worthing Saga is simply INCREDIBLE.
OSC just has such important things to say.
I liked it so much I actually scoured the earth and found a copy of Capitol, which has been out of print for a long time. If anybody knows how i can get my grubby little mitts on a copy of Hot Sleep, let me know.

But truly one of his books that i like a great deal that almost no one ever talks about is Treasure Box. It is such a smooth read. FOr me at least, Id be sitting there and it feels like no time has passed, yet Ive burned through 60 incredible pages.

Also Wyrms. Just wow. Wyrms. wow.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend front to back.

Actually, the first book I read as a little girl was "Saintspeak".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grasshopper
Member # 1055

- posted      Profile for Grasshopper           Edit/Delete Post 
odoul's:

[url=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&from=C3&ebaytag1=ebayreg&query=hot+sl eep&category0=267]Hot Sleep on eBay[/url]

One currently at $5; one at $6.99

[ December 18, 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Grasshopper ]

Posts: 450 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Wow, I should have checked back here a little more recently before finishing my Christmas list! I have already read First Meetings, loved it. I ended up asking for Pastwatch and Lovelock. I've read the first chapter of Pastwatch and I'm already addicted. My only problem is that I just saw LOTR (would've seen it sooner but I was sick. [Frown] ) and I can't sit still any longer! Speaking of which I'm getting antsy again!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.