FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Feeling clueless about multi-cultural US History

Author Topic: Feeling clueless about multi-cultural US History
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm rereading the Alvin Maker series, and though I had always recognized the riffs on Anglo-European history, the story of the Prophet and the Red men hadn't set off any bells in my head. Only yesterday, browsing through children's books at Barnes & Noble, did I come across a short biography of Tecumseh. Wow. An incredibly important moment in US History, and I, a very well read, well educated person, hadn't a clue.

I feel really stupid right now... http://gateway.tippecanoe.com/tec_hist.html. [Fixed the link].

[ December 11, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: David Bowles ]

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Your link was not found, but I read an account of it on rootsweb that I found through Google. It was largely the recounting of Harrison's side. That's the tough thing about history- you can't get the story without getting close, but the closer you get the more biased the accounts. If the narrative hadn't waxed so sentimental about the bravery of their own men, I would be more inclined to believe them.

P.S. It's a sad day when the affairs of the Native Americans are referred to as "Multi-cultural". Sorry. Just seemed a little ironic to me.

I think it is in preface to Red Prophet that Card apologizes for painting Harrison as such a nasty person. I guess this means the Prophet he fought against may not really have been Ghandi meets Bill W. (The founder of AA).

[ December 11, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.