FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shameless Author Commercial

Author Topic: Shameless Author Commercial
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
You can now get my book, double autographed, from Hatrack River Store for $4.00 off.

Grandma Edie, also known as Edith S. Tyson, author of ORSON SCOTT CARD: Writer of the Terrible
Choice. [Wink]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I so poor?? [Frown]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
^What she said^
[Wall Bash]

Oh I know, because my job pays next-to-nothing. I guess it's not bad for teenagers and retired people. [Dont Know]

Maybe I could be a writer...
That's it...
hmmmm [Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
2 for 1????

Cool!

I assume my credit card is perfectly safe transmitting to the store . . . (suspiciously glances around)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
GrandmaEdie~~
Thank you for that wonderful book. I ordered it as soon as it was available, immediately read it and took too long to let you know that it was wonderful. It was thourough and insightful. My own personal copies of OSC books get well marked and my thoughts go in the margins. I was gratified by how many of my personal impressions were also noted by you, and I enjoyed reviewing your take on things that was a new idea for me.

It was a very readable book, and one I will review each time I re-read one of the Card books.

You young fans who want this book: ask your parents for a Cmas present. Adults like buying books for you. And this is a 'scholarly' work... that should getyou a lot of points.

Again, thank you. ~~Alicia (Also a Grandma)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
tsk tsk tsk. Shameless. [Big Grin] I really am looking forward to reading it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
Alicia, I am taking a deep and grateful bow.
[Smile]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Adults like buying books for you.
Unfortunately not true for me. If I put too many books on my list my mom complains that my list is too "boring" so I generally limit myself to two or three books per list and then sucker my mom into buying others for me at later times. Like how I got Worthing Saga last night!
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Adults like buying books for you.
pffffff. right.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
If you hide your love of books from them and act like a pop-culture junkie, they are encouraged to encourage reading which, as we all know, builds your mental muscle!
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
However, if you actually LIKE reading, they take the books from you and throw you outdoors to go "make like a kid and play" -

(Bitterly reminesces about books being taken away and being sent outside into the cold, cruel, heartless world . . . until the lightbulb went off and the thought of quoting the books from memory to said parents was put into action . . . [Evil] )

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told (by parents who read a lot too) that I needed to get outside to get fresh air. I opened a window . . .

But I always got lots of books as gifts, and frequent trips to the library.

My kids read a lot, which I encourage. And sometimes (not now, it's COLD outside) open the windows. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

Reading some of your responses, I'm embarrased to tell you that the summer my son's goal to 'read a book a day' (long books) I had to insist he play outside a couple hours per day too.

Ask your grandparents. They will buy books for you. (Won't they? I'm not the only one right?)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think parents are obsessed with having "well-rounded" kids. Thus if they like to read they are send outside to play and if they like to play outside they are given books to read. Luckily I've always liked both so it's all good.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to try to throw me outside to play, too. She finally gave up when she found out I was putting my books on my windowsill so I could get them outside. [Evil]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, "well-rounded" is what you get if they WON'T go outside. [Wink]

Boon, my mom would be willing to compromise, and let me take a book outside. She was just obsessed with the whole "fresh air" thing.

And we live in Los Angeles! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

I used to climb out my bedroom window onto a tree limb, then climb up onto the roof. The leaves of the tree overhanging that one spot kept me cool and concealed. I could read as long as I wanted, could safely ignore (for a while at least) when anyone called for me, and be left alone by the 4 brothers who surrounded me in age. This only worked in the summer.

If you were my Gkids, I'd buy you each a HB copy of G.Edie's book and any OSC book you asked for.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.