FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » enders game movie (doubts)

Author Topic: enders game movie (doubts)
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if I'm the only one having serious doubts about the Ender's Game movie getting made.

I suppose it's bound to happen eventually, but I don't expect to see it in the next 5 years.

Of course, this doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it sooner...

Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ye of little faith!

You know, LotR was in the making for 7 years and it was worth the wait. Paitience, my good Emperor Mikal!

Now I'm done being mature. *screams with impatience*. Doubt smothers me. I want this movie out now!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ender_182
Member # 6156

- posted      Profile for ender_182   Email ender_182         Edit/Delete Post 
Well i dont think im having the same doubts as you are for one yes it was only a matter of time before they decided to make the new yorks best selling novel into a movie like so many others but my concern is how are they going to make six year old kids floating around freezing eachother with some nerf look-a-like guns in space. I would love to see it pulled off as well as LOTR did but its very doubtful without the help of Peter Jackson. Card does promise to see things in the movie that were not in the book and vice versa. For instance Card says we get to see and hear and learn more about Mazark which im very interested to see. But as far as acting goes well two words "good luck"...Halie Joel Osmand you should be expecting a call very shortly and make us Ender's Game lovers proud.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

Haley Joel Osment is way to old. I realize that the actor playing Ender is going to be older than he was in the book but it doesnt change the fact that HJO is still way too old.

Which is a shame by the way, because in his younger years I think he definitely could have pulled it off.

And Jake Lloyd definitely should NEVER play ender.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alby87a
Member # 6082

- posted      Profile for Alby87a   Email Alby87a         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake Lloyd is also old (you gotta keep track of their ages Mikal) but he could play Peter. but anyway it will be probably a person we don't know much about it I bet.

[ January 28, 2004, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Alby87a ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Open with the Buggers in all out battle with the Humans, like the Lord of the Rings, show Mazer's desperate victory and end with the ominous warning "All we knew was that they would be back, and we needed to be ready."

Jump to school yard where we meet the sweet boy Andrew, kind to puppies and kitties, viscious to those who attack him. Select him for battle school.

Tearful parting, meet the family, move to shuttle, do the Graff thing (I hate the idea of combining Graff and Mazer, why would an expert in human/child psycology be the tactical genius that beat the buggers? (and vice/versa)

Enders Vendeta with Bonzo, then the arc where it concludes with a dead Bonzo, and then command school.

Then expand on the battles, make the whole last half of the movie the campaign against the Buggers, with breaks being the down time, showing the strain on the kids. Build to the final battle.

End the movie at the climax. After the Buggers are defeated and Ender is a Hero!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake Lloyd loves the book and approached OSC about the movie. I don't know that HJO has ever read the book. But they are both too old for the child roles, and HJO has not shown any ability to play an adult as yet. True we don't know that about Jake Lloyd, but his career hasn't concentered around emoting like HJO.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

Alby87a, I didn't mean to give the impression I thought Jake Lloyd was young enough to play Ender, since he is about 15, I just don't feel like he could handle a role as complex as Ender.

Noone is coming to my mind that is the right age to play him, but as has been said before, most likely it will be an unknown.

Did anyone else think that the kid from The Ring would make a pretty good Bean?

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think PJ's kids should be extras? They'd be about the right age for battle school now, wouldn't they? (They're in a scene in FOTR listening to Bilbo tell his story about the trolls.)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
They are also in a scene in the Two Towers, at helms deep as some of the children huddling in fear, and in a scene in ROTK, I believe...two kids watching as Faramir and troops go out to reclaim Osgiliath.

Actually, there is a lot more history to Ender's Game being made than Jake Lloyd and HJO.

I think it was the late 80s when Card was first approached to do Ender's Game. He turned it down, because they wanted to make the kids teenagers and bring on a love interest (I understand). It was the mid nineties when Robert Chartoff and Fresco Pictures go the rights to play Ender's Game. Pretty soon we had a Frescopictures website and a forum, where we imagined having Ender's Game in the theaters by 1998. Okay, how about 2000? No? It was in find good director/actor/money limbo for a long time.

Jake Lloyd, while he'll never play Ender, did something good for us: he convinced Card that the movie could center around the story from Ender's POV.

We gained Wolfgang Peterson as a director in 2002 with Warner Brothers as the money. Back then, we thought the 'up to four years' prediction before Ender's Game would be made seemed long. So now we are here in 2004. Card has written a script that they agreed on, but it still needs to go through a professional script writer, I understand. I've heard that that process could take as much as a year. The ball is in Warner Brother's court now. And it is looking like if they don't get a working script done soon, Peterson will move on to another project after Troy.

So there we are, learning patience.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

Akma, you have essentially summarized my reasons for having doubt about seeing the movie any time soon. But we can always hope.

[ January 29, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Mikal ]

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible, anything is possible.

But Peterson came to Ender's Game because he loves the story. The project he is working on now, Troy, has been something that he wanted to do for several years, but he didn't have the right script/people timing, etc. (If I remember correctly) The point is, this guy tends to stick to his projects.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.