FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » advice on what to read next

Author Topic: advice on what to read next
Salaam
Member # 5239

- posted      Profile for Salaam   Email Salaam         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I've read the EG and ES series and i was wondering what series to read next. I loved both of those series and have read each book at least ten times each. I'm very interested in Mr. Card's other series. Does anyone have any suggestions on which series to commence with next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~salaam

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin Maker.

[Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. The Alivn Maker series starts with Seventh Son, and is Card's other big series.

Most of my favorite stuff of his is not part of either series, but that's probably because most of his stuff is not part of either series.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camber
Member # 6154

- posted      Profile for Camber   Email Camber         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is sci-fi that you're looking for, I would recommend Lovelock (with Katherine Kidd), The Worthing Saga, or Pastwatch (which is a good trasition book between sci-fi and historical fantasy). The Homecoming series is also sci-fi, and very good.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salaam
Member # 5239

I think i'll start the Alvin maker series, thanks for the advice!!!

~salaam

[ January 30, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Salaam ]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should reread them.

o.O

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that could be offensive. No I would reread them. What other series have you read?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JayTaylorWV
Member # 4399

- posted      Profile for JayTaylorWV   Email JayTaylorWV         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should read every book OSC has ever written. Maybe start from the beginning
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Now what?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salaam
Member # 5239

haha

we are not worthy papa [Hail]

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I say start with Homecoming. Alvin Maker is more popular, but I think Homecoming is better. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Nick, but I haven't really read any Alvin Maker. I only started reading The Memory of Earth, up to chapter 5, and I'd say that the EG and ES series are the only thing better. OSC has officially just become my most favorite author ever!!!!! PARTY!!! [Party]
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions of other books/series that have the same military/political focus as EG

Thanks

[ February 07, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: DarkWizard ]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read the first Alvin Maker book (Don't stone me!) but, I can say that the Homecoming characters are the only that have ever really inspired emotions towards them, I don't want to have any spoilers, but some of the characters just rubbed me the wrong way, which is a good thing. They were well written and I think that it was suppose to do that.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.