FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Expectation And Outside (Spoilers)

Author Topic: Expectation And Outside (Spoilers)
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I touched on this idea and it has become a full blown theory that I have now, so I am going to expand it.

Basically it goes like this, Auias from outside are added as part of the developmental process for a child. Just like the Calling the Hive Queens do to make a new Queen or what they did to make Jane.

This accounts for the Seventh Son being special because the expectations and hopes pinned on him are exceptional. Also since the seventh son is exceptional, then his expectations about his seventh son are going to have particularly great power.

Ender was pre-concieved as being a blend of Peter who was too ambitious and Valantine who was too passive, it was inconcievable that that the third try would produce exactly what was needed, except it did, because that was the great expectation of all those focused on calling Ender into being. Hence when he went outside he split into the two components of his soul!

While the Buggers were calling into being an auia that could talk to us, we were unconciously calling up a being that could destroy them!

There is an element of this in non fiction as well, could we not see Jesus as the result of hundreds of thousands of people yearning for a Messiah?

I think this might be the key to connecting the two series in a continious set of underlying rules if not one universe.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Big theory, but at first sight it seems correct to me.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, a better way to connect the two storylines would simply be to learn some Mormon theology. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I find some Mormon theology ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the lessons for the LDS Church and read the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price and Word of Wisdom. Nothing in them accounts for the theory I posted, so what benifit was I supposed to have gotten?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the similarities you see between the aiuas Outside and the little thinking "persuadable" atoms of Alvin's mythology are almost entirely due to Mormon concepts of the soul, IMO.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
While Tom is correct about the connection between Mormon theology and the concepts of being and intelligence that appear in the Ender and Alvin series, the way these concepts are manifested are different enough from Mormon theology that there's plenty of room for the type of speculation/analysis that you do above, Bean Counter.

Also: even with your study of Mormon theology, you wouldn't necessarily have come across the concepts Tom is referring to because

a) Mormon scripture and missionary lessons don't have a lot to say about these things -- some of the basics yes, but more than that is only speculation which can only be found in extensive reading of the sermons of Mormon leaders

and

b) There's very, very little that we actually know about the nature of souls -- enough to inspire OSC to come up with some interesting phenomena for his fiction, but not so much that it would dictate all the ways in which they are manifested in his works.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
All you find in the scriptures (Doctrine and Covenants) is that Spirit is refined matter and that the spirit and body together are the soul. Also, that spirits were themselves based upon a pre-spirit called an intelligence (which seems to correlate to the aiua). I think of it as that thing which chooses.

So an individual exists in four known states:

Intelligence
Spirit
Soul <- you are here
Resurrected Soul.

Everyone is resurrected by the end.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka is correct -- and to pick up the Alvin thing, not only is spirit = matter that is more refined, that matter can also not be destroyed and (refined or not) is = light = truth = intelligence.

If the basic building block of all matter is intelligence then it stands to reason that all matter can behave intelligently and respond to the proper power or as TomD puts it -- is persuadable.

NOTE: there is a difference, albeit one that we don't exactly know, between intelligence and intelligences. As I understand it, all matter is intelligence, but the term intelligences is reserved for those entities (auias perhaps) that have the potential to become spirit children of God and enter mortality and become human beings.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.