FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is this the end?

Author Topic: Is this the end?
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably thinking ahead of myself, since I haven't finished the series yet, but is Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow over? What I mean is, has Orson Scott Card finished that project completely or will there be more novels? [Dont Know] I'm afraid that I may already know the answer. [Frown]
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's supposed to be one more book in the ES series called Shadow of the Giant,and I thought I read somewhere that there would be one more in the EG series but I might be wrong. [Dont Know]

[ February 03, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: alath ]

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a rumor that after Shadow of the Giant (which is definitely coming out), he'll write a novel linking the two series. I don't know if this has been confirmed, though.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I just had a flash! When you mentioned the possibility of linking the two series it occoured to me that Reletivistic effects could be used in a desperate attempt to cure Bean!

He could be sent out like Mazar to return after they have found a way to treat Bean's problem. Maybe even allowing him to meet Jane and catch up with Ender!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
No Bean dies. OSC confirmed it at a book signing. So does Alvin in the last Alvin book.

This should really not be a big surprise. OSC says that that is how you know the story is over. The main character is dead.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card may be one of the most prolific killers of beloved main characters in recent history ... [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
One wonders why this is so.

Some possibilities:

1. Per msquared's post: because he's tired of writing about the character so kills him/her off i.e. the only way to escape the insistent voice of the character who demands narratives be created so he/she can be realized.

2. The whole Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon and Biblical prophets thing of sealing one's lifeswork and legacy via a heroic death or even a sacrifice.

3. A corallary to item one -- it's the only way to get fans off his back about sequels.

4. It's the only way he knows how to end a story.

[Wink]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean counter- Time warping beanlets
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
msquared, The next time your going to give spoilers, please say so. I haven't even read the Alvin series yet, and I know Bean was going to die, but can't I hope against hope? [Mad]

But that is so cool! Another Shadow book? OHH MAN! I can't wait for it to come out! When do you suppose?

Another series, man it just gets better. Does anyone know anything on it? Like what it's called?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
The Death of the Main Character thing I cannot speculate on too much, since I have not read much beyond the sci-fi and fantasy of OSC and he has as yet not killed off either Ender or Bean.

However it seems to me that it is very healthy to have characters live a full story arch that ends in death and includes a full family life, both growing up and later in making one of their own.

Someone once wrote that to be more then human is to be less, or more specifically to be other then human is to be less, but that is specist.

Still I think that any Sci-fi Fantasy author who is realistic is going to have to cope with the idea of extended mortality (prolonged life), theoretical immortality (awareness in another more durable state) and or serial mortality (moving from body to body) as the result of scientific advance or magical manipulation.

The ethics of it becomes the heroic choice to die, to live a single life as "God" intended.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Master

Sorry about that but OSC stil has two books to go in the series.

I did not really consider it a spoiler since OSC answers this way to this question at all of his book signings.

It is like you should not be surprised at the end of a Tom Clancy novel or a John Grisham book.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

no big, msquared

but i like the excitement i get when i read a story and think, "well he's not gonna die he's the main character" and then you turn the page and, well he's dead. all along you knew he had it coming but liked the possibility that he may survive but it's obviously his death that makes it a great ending. that's just me. you all are probably thinking, uh freak. but really ms, you were just bringing me out of my fantasy world. you didn't change anything.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
"OSC says that that is how you know the story is over. The main character is dead."

Hur Hur Hur, I guess so:)

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.