FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Quietus

Author Topic: Quietus
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Since the other side is broken, I thought I'd bring up something that threw me for a loop.

What in the heck is going on in Quietus (Maps in a Miror)? The story seems to jump from one thig to another so rapidly that I can't keep up. Can someone clear this up?

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Nobody can clear it up. It stays muddy. Well, OSC's afterword on that one helps a little.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Where's the afterword?
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I've got an old version of Maps in a Mirror that I got from a library purge for 20 bucks. How 'bout them apples?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... after. At the end of the section.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I know, let's all laugh at scottneb. Ha Ha Ha.

Just remember that you'll brain-fart someday too. [Taunt]

EDIT: Happy Birthday Pops!

[ February 17, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Quietus the one with the man and the scary alienbabymonsterthing, or is it something else?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK the main character (Mark) is so strongwilled that he changes reality so that his wife will not be left devastated and alone after his death.

This story makes me cry every time I read it.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcasticmuppet, the one with the scary alienbabymonsterthing is "Eumenides in the Fourth Floor Laboratory."
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a couple times to figure that out, but I really like this story now.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading "Quietus" I just can't remember what it's about. Is it on of the horror ones?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...the Mormon corporate guy with no children the climbs in the coffin in his office at home...

That's the one.

I'll have you all know that Eumenides in a 4th floor Lavatory is one of the first stories where I actually had to put the book DOWN and stop reading for minutes at a time. It was just so creepy and gross...and we don't know what happens when Alice wakes up!!!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alyosha
Member # 6187

- posted      Profile for Alyosha   Email Alyosha         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the same way about Eumenides in the 4th Floor Lavatory! Does anyone remember the story with the Hectors? I'm pretty sure it was called The Monkeys Thought Twas All in Fun. I was just wondering if anyone seriously understood it. Even after reading the afterword it didn't make much sense to me. I'm probably just missing something...
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Member # 6083

- posted      Profile for Alice   Email Alice         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Hectors even though I didn't really understand them. [Smile]
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I too had to put the book down while reading "Eumenides on the fourth floor lavatory" scared the bajeebies out of me. I still catch myself checking the ceiling for over head scary alienbabymonsterthings. Hey just a question why do you think it is callled that? ( the title I mean.)
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
was anyone else confused at first by the story, "Damn fine novel"? on reading it a second time though I began to understand it and I even like it now. [Smile]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
eumenides - (classical mythology) the hideous snake-haired monsters (usually three in number) who pursued unpunished criminals

Those baby/monster/alien things were his personal eumenides.

Every time I read Quietus, I never know what is going on, and I can never get me to agree with myself as to an interpretation. It's annoying.

But mostly I lean towards the idea that he is deluding himself into beleiving that things will be OK for his wife. But they won't.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.