FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Valentine's daughter--what happened?

Author Topic: Valentine's daughter--what happened?
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers, I guess.

Valentine's eldest daughter, Sift, I beleive, says in SftD she'll help Ender in his next great work.

Then nothing happens.

To put it frankly--wth?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked it up, her name is Syfte. When they say she'll help him with his work, it's actually Syfte speaking, not the book foreshadowing. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't she come to Lusitania with Valetine and Pilkt? If she did, then she probably did help Ender in someway. Even if she didn't help Ender in his life, she can always continue his work after his death.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean it seemed like OSC was setting up something for later in the series, then nothing.

[ February 29, 2004, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Anthro ]

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning something for her in that book, but realized that it was not needed in order to achieve closure and would have been a distraction. The things she was needed for simply didn't happen yet when CotM ended. Maybe I can bring it to fruition in the book that binds together shadow books and speaker books. in any event, i appreciate the reminder of yet another of the threads left dangling at the end of cotm.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auron of Zanarkand
Member # 6257

- posted      Profile for Auron of Zanarkand   Email Auron of Zanarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
::chuckles::

This is a fun place. I think I might settle here rather than surf other forums..mean forums. I'm re-reading CotM again actually..for like..the eighth time..don't you know? If books could talk they'd say "Please! Read me kind sir!"
I always listen to my books..mwahaha..

::cackles:: mwahahahahaaa..!!!

I think the last three, Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind, were so much better than the original Ender's Game. I was doing a summary for EG, and I was revising it, and it sounded..really.....hmm..bizarre. Very bizarre. None the less, still got a 92 on it, so no worries. I love books. Write more please!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Auron!! Come on over to the other side and see if you like it over there. Books, Films, Foods, and American Culture. We want you!!

Edit: Buh.... (gapes) I didn't even realize when I first read this thread that OSC had posted. YAY!!! [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sacredriver
Member # 6281

- posted      Profile for sacredriver   Email sacredriver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really neat. I never thought that I would find a thread that OSC himself would actually be posting at! I've never seen an author that has actively done something on his own web site.... But then again, none of the authors that I've known has ever had his/her own web page.... Never mind....

But I've read all of the Shadow books, and I'm about 5/6 of the way through SftD and so far I have loved every part of it.... Actually, I'm at the part where Ender speaks Marcos's death.... a little past it.... never mind again....

By the way, lots of cool emoticons [Party] [Evil] here... [Sleep]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
auron...i have to disagree with ya on that topic...it might be because i havent read as many books...or im too young..i dunno but...i liked EG a lot better than i liked the speaker books...dont get me wrong they are all GREAT books....but i place EG higher than the others....in EG i felt that OSC got you so into the battle schoolers..all the kids...what is wat like...what they were felling...EVERYTHING...how much they missed their homes...everything...i was jsut drawn to the characters..and then in SftD i realized...the only person connecting the 2 books were Ender and Valentine...that was it! and when i first started it i couldnt understand anything untill i realized that it was barely a sequel...but then i got hooked on it and didnt put it down untill i finished it..then immediatly picked up the next book and ect....i dunno what it is [Dont Know] but OSC has a way to get you absolutly hooked on a book.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost count of how many times I've read EG after ten. I do know that I skip the chapters that I didn't care too much for and don't miss a thing. I do love the rest (just bought the box set of SftD, Xeno, and CotM because my originals are way up in MI), but I found a lot of meaning in EG. BTW OSC, I think the shadow series is great. Just wish I could find more of your books in the store, but then, that's what Amazon.com is for.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chx
Member # 3388

- posted      Profile for chx   Email chx         Edit/Delete Post 
First actual post from OSC himself I've seen. Very strange -- he is member #209. I thought he shall be #1 here...
Posts: 30 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a double take when I was reading this.

I had the same thought about his user no. too. Another example of his humility - or is it a disguise. No. 1 is his alter ego when he doesn't want us to know its him - doh! that wouldn't work would it.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Being new to this forum and this being the first topic I read, I had thought that him posting was a common thing... For about 2 minutes...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome Kabederlin!
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed reading all of the Ender series, but for different reasons. For me Enders Game is an entirely different story than the rest of the series. But that makes sense because in the first book Ender is a child and in the rest he is an adult. Children and adults tell different stories because they have different perspectives to draw from and different things that motivate their actions. Ender won the game because he just didn't want to play anymore. Then as an adult he writes the Hive Queen to fix what he thinks he ruined as a child. I think what I find most amazing is that OSC was able to write from both perspectives so well. I think most writers have a hard time recapturing the essence of childhood. (Except those that specialize in childrens literature of course)

-PT

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demosthenes_08
Member # 7058

- posted      Profile for Demosthenes_08   Email Demosthenes_08         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to this forum but I can sure say that all the Ender's books are really awesome and once you start them you can't put them down. Also it's cool that's OSC himself signed this thread. Makes me feel special i suppose.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know that Syfte might come in later. I always thought she had the potential for an interesting character...
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading about the next generation always makes nostalgic for the first one...Ender, Bean, Petra, "the enemy's gate is down".....<runs off to find Ender's Game>
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Bok Bok Bok BUGOK!

Which book is this Syfte character in?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Its been brought up a great many times but I will tell u again. I believe the reason for OSC not being number one is due to when Hatrack swithced formats or something and everyone who was in the old forum got new numbers. Its something like that. People like Pops know more. To all the new people- Welcome! [Wave]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which book is this Syfte character in?
She's the oldest of Valentine's offspring. She recieved a paragraph in Speaker, I believe it was in the chapter "Valentine", right before Ender reaches Lusitania.

I believe she only gets brief mentions in Xenocide and Children...Syfte never really emerged from a peripheral-character status.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.