FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Sequels to 'Ender's Game'

Author Topic: Sequels to 'Ender's Game'
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
i, like many others im sure, have read the enders series many times over, but i feel that after enders game in speaker for the dead and xenocide and in chilren of the mind, there wasnt enough action, in enders game there were battles in such detail that made you feel like you were part of it but in all of the other books, the action had like disintegrated into nothing, my first time i read the series i expected there to be so many things, but i was disappointed. Then, i found out that enders shadow had sequels, i read those and found out that he hadnt lost the style,and i thoroghly enjoyed the shadow series and am on the edge of my seat for the next one [Smile]
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I many ways, SFtD isn't really a sequel to EG. Ender has changed so much, he's hardly the same character. They are totally different types of books.

That said, while I love Ender's Game, I think Speaker for the Dead is actually a better book, even though it's not as fun in a testerone sort of way.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has said that the storyline for Speaker came from something entirely different than the lines of thinking for Ender's Game. The ideas for Speaker where random ideas that he had; one day he started putting those ideas together and thought 'hmmm, I could make Ender the main character." Thus, you get the entirely different style.

Obviously this aspect of the series hasn't shaken your liking of the books. [Big Grin]

[ March 04, 2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
This link should help.

EDIT: Caution! Spoilers below!

[ March 04, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm...that explains a lot....thanks for the link that helped a lot too...i like action in my books thats why im so drawn to enders game and enders shadow and the shadow series....but now im kinda wondering what kind of plot the new shadow book will be like....i mean achilles was beans complete opposite and complete rivalry....who will he be against now? Peter? lol o well...just a thought to dwell on [Smile]
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
BattleSchooler, as scottneb exemplified in his edit, it's a common courtesy to put a spoiler alert before mentioning a crucial part of a story, especially of a story that everybody's grandmother hasn't read (unlike The Hobbit, for example).
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

o sry...that spoiler post was only my 2nd post...my fault [Frown] my bad...wont happen again...

[ March 05, 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: BattleSchooler06 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.