FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What you learned from OSC ...

Author Topic: What you learned from OSC ...
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a lot of great "Free will" threads two years ago, so I won't rehash the subject.

I just want to thank OSC for writing Worthing Saga. Before I read that book, I always wondered why a loving god would allow for suffering in the world. After reading WS, I realized that you cannot have free will without the possibility of suffering, and that without the possibility of negative consequences, our actions would cease to have significance.

This revelation, along with Human's message of tolerance in Speaker for the Dead, have shaped my personal belif system and made me a better person.

Have you had similar experiences with a work by OSC?

[ March 10, 2004, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Earthborn highlights for me that the conservative/republican ideal is not what the scriptures teach. In order for us to come unto Christ, we must first all come together in unity.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Seventh Son shaped my paradigm
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Which part inspired you? [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
For years, I tried to shape my life around the ideals of Will from Wyrms. Eventually, I gave up [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
But your right arm has never quite worked the same, has it....

<Wonders if that'll make the out-of-context thread. Probably not, since cross-posting is becoming less common.>

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, before NOW anyway. Thanks for the idea. [Smile]

*goes off to post in the out of context thread*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Detheroc
Member # 6311

- posted      Profile for Lord Detheroc   Email Lord Detheroc         Edit/Delete Post 
Card has changed my lifestyle significantly since i began reading his books. Ive began to think much more clearly, and much more intensly by treating nothing or noone as trivial.

There is a lot more than reading to do in Cards novels, there are many life lessons

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eowyn of the mark
Member # 6210

- posted      Profile for eowyn of the mark   Email eowyn of the mark         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC books are great espcially for a some one interested in writing, b/c of the way he blends religion and fiction without preaching. I think it's great that he can express his moral beliefs without turning people away with a preachy style.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The part that stuck with me was when Alvin was playing a typical childish prank and then that fellow came in and showed him what a waste that was and to do good things with his power, like "Make all things whole."
I love that sort of theme very deeply.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Olhaldo: That there is greatness in service.

Dinah: That the Lord knows you, and knows what you need.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had this very conversation with myself, in my journal....(I know, I'm a dork.)

Anyway, I was becoming frusterated because, all of the story ideas that I had come up with, had all been done. But I was also thinking about "KINGS MEAT". In the afterward, OSC describes it as a sort of old idea with a new twist. I realized then, that it doesn't matter if that sort of subject has been done before, because really its all been done. But you need to put your own twist on it.. make it your own.
OSC is my hero! [Hail]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have learned "Seek first to understand..." from OSC
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

That was beautiful Kat. [Smile]

Alicia, did you get that from Speaker for the Dead? i.e. Ender's theory that when it comes to humans, a person's intention is the most important thing to consider? I loved that part too.

Synth, I got that same message from reading Spiderman. (With great power comes great responsibility, said Uncle Ben). [Smile]

Welcome to Hatrack Eowyn, Gwan, and Dethroc. [Wave]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
His writings addressing the LDS religion, whether fictional or essay, have helped me put to rest some serious ghosts relating to living in a highly dysfunctional/abusive family that also happened to be highly respected LDS members.

I found a freedom to let go and grow and move on.

The first work I read by him was (of course) Ender's Game. I was 17 and it shook me to my inner core. For the first time, I felt like SOMEONE valued and understood kids. I have since had the pleasure of re-reading it innumerable times, and each time there is something different to apply or learn.

Thanks, Mr. Card! [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I learned that my fav genre (SF) could not only appeal to my techie/science-nerd side, but that it could appeal to, illuminate, and build upon my nascent teenage thoughts/observations about being human, namely empathy (speaker for the dead and xenocide).

Then, I learned that artists get lazy. Not directly from Card, but from following the paths of other creative heros. It happens. The last few books I read by Card started off pretty well, but ended with lots of fairly superficial "sitcom"-like treatments of characters. Nevertheless, the stories were good, and I'd already bought into the characters and situations and wanted to see how it would unfold.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
vwiggin-- I think "Seek first to understand..." permeates his books. I am currently re-reading the Abyss. Again the theme rings, --that if one could understand, either what motivates another person or species, so much complication could be avoided. When we even make the attempt, a clearer perspective settles over everything.

I love books for helping us do this. We can see what happens and why. It would sure be nice to see a script of our lives, for the same reason.

I also often think how nice it would be if my everyday life had a sound track. I would not miss so many little clues, I'd sit up and pay attention to the important moments and when action ought to be taken, I wouldn't wait.

~~Sigh~~

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Two main things I learned:

One, to try and understand the antagonist. There are very few real villians in Card's work. Or, anyway, very few that are portrayed as really and truly evil. No matter how terrible the actions of the antagonists when Card writes from thier point of view I pity rather than hate them for being the bad guys. So I try to do that in life too, but it's harder.

Two, what I'd like to call The Worthing Lesson. Pain is not the best part of life, but it is probably the most potent. So no matter what, to endure hellish torture is better than to have a bland and safe existance.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I look at it almost the opposite of how Princess does. I think that Card shows more evil than most authors. Many authors prop up a cardboard cutout and say "fear me! I'm evil!" like the supervillans in comic books. It's laughable and unbelievable.

But Card's villands are human. They are understandable. They are pitiable. And yet they still do and cause evil.

But I am bugged even more by the opposite extreme. I've read/seen too many stories where the main character is a model citizen -- considerite to his wife and kids, does volunteer work, wouldn't hurt a mouse, sensitive and intelligent, the perfect man, etc., until he goes to work and is an assasin/brutal pimp/exploiter of slave labor/etc.. That's just as unbelievable as the "I'm evil! <evil cackle>" characters, but it bugs me more, because I unconsciously take them more seriously.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alyosha
Member # 6187

- posted      Profile for Alyosha   Email Alyosha         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that has stayed with me most from OSC's books is how he shows that no one is perfect, but at the same time shows the reasoning of the characters that many other authors would just write as evil. It shows very clearly that you must consider everything before passing a verdict on someone.

[ March 17, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul36
Member # 6339

- posted      Profile for Paul36   Email Paul36         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that I've learned from reading OSC novels is that in being human, you have and make choices. We're all capable of being either 'good' or 'evil'. Life is full of temptations (God knows I've had my share) and the decisions we make help in determining our nature.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Daughter of Diko
Member # 6346

- posted      Profile for A Daughter of Diko   Email A Daughter of Diko         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the last post. The best thing about OSC is his characterization... I end up getting sucked into his stories because I really care about the fictional people in them.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned from OSC that even computer programs existing in between ansibles and "artificial" living beings spawned off a real person are capable of love.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.