FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Why did so many piggies convert?

Author Topic: Why did so many piggies convert?
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

- posted      Profile for HonestAbe   Email HonestAbe         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I missed something, in speaker for the dead we hear that when the piggies get a copy of the Hive Queen and the Hegemon from Libo, along with a bible, they treat the bible like rubbish after they read it, lighting fires with it's pages because they think it's worthless in comparison to what The Speaker wrote, why do so many then later convert?

[ March 10, 2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: HonestAbe ]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Quim is, like, a total genius.

I dunno. Because they want our technology? And as far as they know, to be human is to be Catholic.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

They clearly know that some people are not catholic, the understood the religion and rejected it. What made them change their minds?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't a whole lot in the bible that refers to redemption of alien souls. It is very human-centric.

After time the theology was reinterpreted to include the Pequino's. They then further modified it to claim that the Holy Spirit was the Descoloda Virus.

Once they were able to liken the scriptures unto themselves, they were able to internalize the message.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
One possibility that I find interesting is that the Piggies adopted religion as an excuse to go to war.

It is clearly indicated that global cooling trend is underway and the Descolada compensates for this by jacking up CO2 by destroying father trees. It might be that the impulse to war needed an excuse and Christianity had it.

After all when have we Christians found it difficult to justify a war?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

Interesting idea BC, it's a good answer. I think it's one of those things that just wasn't worth the pages to explain, but it's fun comeing up with answers anyway.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When the piggies first 'rejected' Catholicism in favor of the Speaker's works, they only had the Bible to go on. AFAIK, the Catholic church has never relied heavily on scriptural teachings when they went out to convert the heathens. Many things such as the saints, symbolisms, holidays, and other teachings that do not come from the Bible but are important to the Catholic faith are used to bring them into the fold. It makes sense that they would follow this same pattern.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
If I were a piggie I'd rather convert to Judaism.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
After all when have we Christians found it difficult to justify a war?

[Roll Eyes]
Let's see, how many Christian wars were fought prior to it becoming the official church of Rome?

How many wars were fought by Rome prior to it become Christian?

Any questions?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
i think what he meant was how many wars have been fought b/c of religion. The Crusades, the first gulf war and the current one all boil down to: "they hate us cause were this religion so we kill them first"
and yeah you didnt answer any of your own questions when you clearly know the answer

[ March 11, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: T.J. ]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, at first I thoguht of this like a joke but now I'm wondering: If a piggie converts to Judaism, what do they circumsize?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

the father trees
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but how? Some sort of selective pruning?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eowyn of the mark
Member # 6210

- posted      Profile for eowyn of the mark   Email eowyn of the mark         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jewish piggies makes sense... I mean we already have the no bacon thing down, right? (yeah, cheesy pun intended)
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

T.J., religion became the justification for the war, but not the reason. Don't our own current events illustrate well enough the difference between the two?
T.J.
Member # 6267

just making a statement didnt mean to offend you im just saying MOST not all conflict is caused by some religious differences, or is brought in eventually. take the cold war for example, the "one nation under God" part of our pledge is because the US wanted to go against the atheiist views of the Soviets at the time
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

I think that's a bit of oversimplification (is that a word? lol). The cold war was a tad more complicated than that.
T.J.
Member # 6267

Yes, I know that the cold war was complicated and many things CAUSED the war, religion not included, but we Involved religion and we are a country of mainly Christains(i know we have others i lived near a Jewish community center, but still most of us are christians)
HonestAbe
Member # 6254

I wouldn't be so sure about "most" i'll look for some statistics but I would think it would be more like 50% christian.
Vash2382
Member # 5494

- posted      Profile for Vash2382   Email Vash2382         Edit/Delete Post 
You also have to remember that the first piggies to see the hive queen and the hegemon were the ones right outside the village and im sure they are not 100% typical of the average tribe. Others may have been more receptive to the Catholic faith than the ones studied by Miro in speaker. I dont recall but how many of Rooters bunch converted compared to others who didn't have the prolonged contact with humans?

Just food for thought.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vash2382
Member # 5494

- posted      Profile for Vash2382   Email Vash2382         Edit/Delete Post 
SELECTIVE PRUNING HHHAAAHHHAAAHAHHAHAH [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
In the christian bible it only refers to himans...i believe that is because there may NOT be other intelligent life forms besides humans.....any possibilities? i dunno the specifics of the new testement cause im jewish....yes i did have a circumsision [Smile] and it snot only no bacon its no pig in general :-P
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I was amused to hear about the POW's trading MRE's in Iraq to get packets of "Ham" (Spam) not recognizing it is pork. It was corrected fairly soon but not before many muslems were doomed to hell by the rich flavor!
[Evil Laugh]
BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atnelav
Member # 6413

- posted      Profile for atnelav           Edit/Delete Post 
i think that at first the bible seemed like it was all about how special the humans are. so after some time some started to look at the bible and things more carefully and found ways to link it to themselves, they found that there was some sense in it.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlocke059
Member # 6220

- posted      Profile for johnlocke059   Email johnlocke059         Edit/Delete Post 
According to this site: http://www.atlapedia.com/online/countries/unitedst.htm

the USA is 79% Christian

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if the U. S. were Jewish instead we'd have to cut off Monroe County.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.