FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Surprising stories in Maps in a Mirror

Author Topic: Surprising stories in Maps in a Mirror
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've owned a first-edition copy of Maps in a Mirror for 10 years, but just got around to reading it last week. I was really impressed, and thought I'd throw out some of my favorites (in hopes of generating good discussion).

"Unaccompanied Sonata" - one of the best short stories I've ever read. Ranks up there with the best short fiction of Tim O'Brien, Norman Maclean, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

"Lost Boys", "Mikal's Songbird", "Ender's Game" - Three excellent stories replaced by even better novels.

"Sandmagic" - This story simply cries out to be turned into a book.

"Dogwalker" - Who knew Card could do cyberpunk?

"Gert Fram" - Kind of creepy how well Card gets into the mind of a 13-year old girl.

"Plague of Butterflies" - Give us more magical realism!

"The Originist" - perhaps a better Asimov short story than the Good Doctor himself ever wrote ("Bicentennial Man" and "The Last Question" excluded, of course)

[ March 23, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Craig Childs ]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Homeless in Hell [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kind of creepy how well Card gets into the mind of a 13-year old girl.

You have a very interesting screen name for an adolescent girl yourself. [Wink]
I keep meaning to read "Unaccompanied Sonata," everyone consistently raves about it.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the story Angles which used to be available on his web site.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that The Changed Man and The King of Words affected me deeply.

1000 Deaths ... I could almost feel the pain of a noose around my neck. Amazing. Disturbing. Incredible.

Unaccompanied Sonata deserves to be raved about. It's good. Very good.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We already discussed many of our favorites in This Thread awhile back. So you might want to peek at the opinions there.

A Thousand Deaths still gives me the creeps -- I can't get it out of my head. Many of the stories in that book are like that. I could only read them once.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
My english teacher, when I was in grade nine, made us read, "KING'S MEAT" and "MORTAL GODS". I got maps in the mirror a couple of months ago and "MORTAL GODS" is still my all time favorite.
I don't think that 1000 deaths creeped me out as much as "Euminedes on the fourth floor lavatory" did... I still catch my self checking the cieling of the bathroom for scary monster babies, at night.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogwalker remains my favorite short story of all time.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
My hardback Maps is very worn - I tend to read it to "keep me going" in between novel-length doses of Card. I had finally made time for Rebekah and then finished a copy of Stone Tables that I found in a Deseret Bookstore in Albuquerque (another story altogether!). Now I'm waiting for Rachel and Leah to come out. I saw a preview for "I, Robot" with Wil Smith that seems to have no relation to the Asimov stories other than The Three Laws, so I reread I, Robot. Biding my time, I took down Maps and stumbled again on "The Originist." Not being one to look lightly upon coincidences, I had to read it again. Three things struck me:
  • This story is pretty darn faithful to the Asimovian style.
  • I never met her, but Kristine must be one amazing woman.
  • Even more amazing is that Card, a mere male, realizes this.
-Don
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.