FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How Smart is Jane?

Author Topic: How Smart is Jane?
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a question that occured to me when I was thinking about the shutdown of Jane's network. Why couldn't she create a body for herself that would be a large computer. A Quantum computer or any number of other options come to mind, and she should be able to hold one in her mind fairly redily and whip it up Outside.

It would relieve her of the need to intrude into the net for memory. It also might have stored her during the shutdown, but if all she knows is software and not hardware, she may just not have been able to make it.

Anybody else see this solution?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

- posted      Profile for Crux   Email Crux         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about it, but i dont' think Jane herself goes outside... she must remain inside to bring whatever she sends Outside back in.
So one of enders 3 personas would have to be able to hold the pattern of the super computer network in their head while jane took them outside..

One: a human couldn't fathom that.
two: jane, with her dwindling memory couldn't maintain that pattern on the way back in
and three: even if a human could recreate that? where the hell would they put it on that ship? it's just a lil room with 6 chairs? I imagine that the hardware of such a system would be massive.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
well Jane does go outside with ender and miro in the jewel so she could of gone again with a larger ship when it worked.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that only a part of her does.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer some of these questions, I think we need to define what exactly is "outside?" I've only read the books once (I just finished Children of the Mind last week), and I'm not quite sure I understand fully what it is.

I don't think of it as a physical place. I think of it (for lack of a better term) as another dimension where the laws of the four dimensions we as humans can sense can be manipulated and used by Jane to accomplish things that are impossible any other way.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Jane can only think of stuff humans thought of from the computers.

She was never creative

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane had a sentient-like aiua, so it takes a really vast network of computers to house her. I guess it raises the question of how she started out, but we start out with baby brains. But we can't go from an adult to a baby brain and back again. I dunno. I guess if one could, one would still have the same aiua.

Basically, though, it was more important for her to get the three species off Lusitania rather than mess around with saving herself. I seem to remember them talking about that. Sure we can quibble about whether she used all the possible resources, but it would have been a different story then.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.