FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Well... This is intresting!

Author Topic: Well... This is intresting!
Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out:

0n 170 of Enders Game "I taught you everything you know, but I did not teach you everything I know"

On 156 of The Memory Of Earth "I taught you everything you know, Elya"

its also in The Chrystal City, Alvin talking to Arthur, but I dont have time to look.

Pooch

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not too surprising. I say that to my kids all the time. It's a pretty common saying.
Haven't you ever said it to someone?

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... If it was in every one of Card's books then it would be more interesting

[ April 02, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Kabederlin ]

Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive never heard it besides once or twice, thats why it caught my eye. Its probably in some books of his i havn't read to. The one in Chrystal City is simmilar to how its put in enders game. The one in The memory of earth is a bonus, i'll admit that that way of saying it is common. The main reason this was interesting is almost all authors i've read do not use this frase, and all of a sudden i notice it a bunch in his books.

Petra also uses the frase once i beleive, the way that Nefai's dad uses it. I guess that i just haven't heared the frase used anywhere else. Any ways, it just shows that Card uses the frase in his books a bit and isn't like some authors i've read from who never allow their charachters to use frases like this one.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
It IS interesting that you found it in many of Card's books. I wasn't implying that it wasn't interesting, just that it wasn't surprising.
Am I misreading sarcasm in your comment, Kabederlin?

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Page 157 of EG, Author's Definitive Edition:

Ender: "So, what does it do?"

Bean: "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything!"

There it is, people!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz]

[ROFL]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Not many things literally get me to LOL, but this one did.
[ROFL]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It IS interesting that you found it in many of Card's books. I wasn't implying that it wasn't interesting, just that it wasn't surprising. Am I misreading sarcasm in your comment, Kabederlin?
Yes you are. I was agreeing with you by saying to Apooche it would be a more interesting topic if it were in more than just two or three of Card's books. Then I'd start to see it as more than coincidence (sp?). In fact I don;t think I was being sarcastic at all...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, my work here is done!

BTW, there are additional jokes that can be made with that concept; these are left as an exercise to the reader.

[ April 04, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.