FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » So which OSC book have you read over and over again?

Author Topic: So which OSC book have you read over and over again?
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
There are several of his books that I have no problem reading over and over...and over and over again. My favorites and most worn out are:

Lovelock
Enchantment
Speaker for the Dead

What about you? (Try to pick your favoritest!! The top 3.)

[ April 08, 2004, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game.
Ender's Shadow.
Folk of the Fringe.

Hey, Cecily - did I tell you I got an official "we are removing your name from the rostered list and your baptism is no longer valid" letter?!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

That's why those missionaries were lurking around I suppose. I wonder why they didn't just ask you?

[ April 08, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
Only one I've read more than once is Ender's Game. Though I'm quite certain that Enchantment will join that short but honorable list soon enough. Love that book.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No clue - although I've some ideas. Better discussed in person next time we meet. [Smile]

I forgot that Songmaster is somewhere between EG and ES. Powerful. I loved it! Every time I read it - which is innumerable.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game because it is the shortest so if I just feel like reading a book to take up the evening then that is one I read.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lovelock
Enchantment
Speaker for the Dead

Yup. Those 3 for me too.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
All of them.

Really, except for the Women of Gensis series since I don't have that.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in college, I used to read Ender's Game once a semester. Maps in a Mirror is pretty worn out, too, since I tend to read it when I get a short chance to read between novels.
I haven't done as much reading since I had kids (especially the second one!), but OSC is the only author I still buy in hardcover because I can't wait. Fortunately, I've converted my wife, so she's always waiting for me to finish the latest installment...

-Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Enders Game whenever I have a a few hours to fill. I've read it so many times now that My book is quit lterally in pieces.

I also re-read all of the Alvin books each time a new one comes out. They are my favorite seires of books by OSC and any reason to read them again is good for me.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any remain that I haven't read at least five times, aside from An Open Book.

Top three? Probably Enchantment, Hart's Hope, and Stone Tables.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game is definitely at the top of that list, it's the only one that I'm not sure how many times I've read it (I think 4 or 5). I recently re-read the Alvin Maker series, and it was just as good as the first time. I've gone back to Maps in a Mirror a couple of times, as well as Pastwatch. I want to re-read Enchantment and Stone Tables, when I get the chance, those were two of my favorites.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Mmmm. I think Stone Tables would quickly reach the top of my list if I owned it. (soon!!)

C'mon Hobbes. What are the ones you read the MOST?

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be cool if OSC did some New Testament work, like a life of Paul or the parables. Or John the Beloved seeing the fall of the church.

I read the whole original Ender series over and over. I need to get more of the Alvin books. Say... There is a Salt Lake County Library book sale tomorrow. Maybe I'll go down and see if I can get a bunch of OSC. Dang, it already started today. Well, I should still go look.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jia-Ning
Member # 6406

- posted      Profile for Jia-Ning   Email Jia-Ning         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read over and over again:

Treasure Box
Enchantment
Children of the Mind
Speaker for the Dead

The above list is in no particular order. I actually like Enchantment best of all, though.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Pooka. I'd love to see more Biblical Fiction from OSC - either New or Old Testament. I've got better access to a Deseret Books now that I'm travelling to Albquerque for my experiment, so it should be easier to get a hold of them.

Actually, it will be hard to read them with a straight face if they have any overlap with the Veggietales stories. I have a hard time thinking of Jericho with out thinking of "Silly little pickle - you are not a mighty dill, you are just a baby gerkin!" followed by, "I'm a cucumber!"

-Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch
Enchantment
Speaker For the Dead

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game for one. I had to get a new copy of the book because my old one fell apart.

The other two are Speaker for the Dead and Enchantment

[ April 09, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game in definitely number one. Probably followed by... all of the other books in the Speaker and ES series. All of the other ones that I've read have only been read between 1 and 4 times each, but EG is completely covered in tape. I'm not ready to let go of it to get a new one yet.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game and the Shadow series. I have no more patience for long and slow books like in the Speaker series. I usually just pick up Ender's Game or a Shadow book and flip to a random page and start read a few chapters from there.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Enchantment
2. Speaker for the Dead
3. Tossup between Lost Boys, Ender's Game, and Seventh Son

These are the only ones I've read more than once. I'm sure that if I owned a copy of Pastwatch I'd have read it at least 3 times by now.

BTW, my all-time most-read book is Jurrassic Park, which I've read 7 times and debated starting reading it again the other night. I love the math in that book. I'm a closeted math nerd.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

This is interesting. Enchantment is racking up the most votes, as well as Speaker and EG. Interesting...
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Ender's Shadow

Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment
Homebody
Treasure Box

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
The only one that I have read more than once is Ender's Game. But I haven't been a fan long enough. Give me time, give me time.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*blows whistle* C'mon BOY! Drop and give me 50 pushups!!

[Wink]

FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
The most would be Ender's Game, but The Worthing Saga and The Lost Boys are working their way up.

I think we've bought a couple replacement copies of Ender's Game. It's been read so many times by everyone in the household that the binding has come loose in all the paperbacks.

I don't usually read books more than once. Apart from OSC, only Stephen King and Jane Austen keep me coming back. And then only for some of their work. However, there isn't a single OSC book I wouldn't read again at the drop of a hat. In fact, it takes self-restraint not to read his books over and over again.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PetraFan
Member # 4735

- posted      Profile for PetraFan           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'd have to say Ender's Shadow, Enchantment, and Shadow of the Hegemon; although closely followed by Ender's Game and The Call of Earth. [Razz]
Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender once a year. It's like a comfy security blancket I can't ween myself of, not that I want to any time soon. I still get something new out of it every time I read it.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
At any given moment it is almost certain I am rereading or dipping into Speaker for the Dead, Ender's Game, Lost Boys, or Alvin Journeyman. I know that's four books but I just couldn't leave one out in the cold.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I have read individual books by themselves over and over. I have read Homecoming at least 10 times by now. I have read the Alvin books about 4 or 5 times. I read Ender's Shadow twice. I have read Wyrms twice. I thought that was a good one. I'm thinking about reading Songmaster for a second time.

Homecoming: The best books ever. [Big Grin] IMO

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Enders game
2.Enders shadow
3. Shadow of the hegemon...

I m a Huge military tactic type person and find shadow of hegemon to be perfect
The whole shadow series i jsut keep re-reading..im on my 6th time around.,..,i only found enders game last august:-)

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment any number of times. And I tend to go back and reread the Ender and Alvin series whenever a new book comes out.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

What is it about Enchantment? I find that I can read it over and over and over again and it seems that most of you feel the same...
Squished Quail
Member # 5852

- posted      Profile for Squished Quail           Edit/Delete Post 
Enders Game not suprisingly but even more than that I have read Treason so many times some of the pages are illegible with dirt and oil from my fingers. Luckily I know what they say... [Taunt]
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I just re-read Enchantment again, and can I say [Hail] OSC.

What I really noticed this time is it has as much pithy wisdom as Dune but the epigrams aren't in italics at the chapter headings. I guess there was a bit of that in the Ender series, but I really like how it is woven in with Enchantment .

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of feel like saying:
[Hail] OSC

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Enchantment is just so full of people to fall in love with...even Baba Yaga is endearing in her own sick way. I love Ivan's parents, I love Ivan...and Ruth is hilarious.

Honestly, I think it's one of his best laid out stories ever!! I second the [Hail]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to reread books a lot. I've read Ender's Game, Xenocide,Speaker for the Dead and Children of the Mind more than once. I just bought Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Puppets yesterday, so I'll begin rereading the series when I'm done with the series I'm on now by another author.

I've read the six Alvin Maker books once, borrowed from the library, but I started buying them and will be reading them again.

Those are the only OSC books I've read ... so far.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
even Baba Yaga is endearing in her own sick way
Sick certainly is the correct term to describe that. [Angst]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wzrd
Member # 6526

- posted      Profile for wzrd   Email wzrd         Edit/Delete Post 
The shadow series is my favorite. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.