FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Am I the only one who's losing faith on OSC? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Am I the only one who's losing faith on OSC?
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't express your own political views on your own web site, then where the hell *can* you express them?
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely not near the square, on the corner of Montezuma and Gurley.

<glare>

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

- posted      Profile for julian   Email julian         Edit/Delete Post 
mr_porteiro_head

No, thanks. I came from the other side precisely because I was tired of this and other debates and I've find here some peace of mind.

Too much aggressiveness for my taste. And too much verbosity also.

I don't have much time to post but I read the posts of this forum (well, not all of them: there are many) and personally I prefer this style of conversation.

I'm not losing faith on OSC but I'm afraid I almost lose it in Ornery's forum.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I never could get into Ornery's forum. It seems that you cannot discuss things there -- you can only debate them.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

Ooops.

The other side was the other branch of Hatrack, not Ornery.

BOING!

Sound I made when I fall fron the tree (cuban expression for a discovered mistake, I don't know if it means something elsewhere.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
Member # 6609

- posted      Profile for Theresa   Email Theresa         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating...Some of you feel dicussing politics should be done only by politicians. But if we as citizens do not openly dicuss our government, what it is doing, how it effects us directly (or indirectly), we become complacent and ignorant. We allow them to continue do ignore the will of the people. We lose our voice. Whether we agree with one anothers views, doesn't matter. What matters is openly discussing them in a public forum and being willing and open-minded to listen not matter how angry you get. Get Angry! Get offended. That's what we need more of in today's society. We need to question our government, our society, ourselves. We need to continue to be heard.

As for OSC's articles, I don't agree with a lot of his views. They are very right wing. But he is a good person, who knows the value of voicing his opinions, concerns and asking questions. And, while I can't speak for him, I'm sure he hopes that his articles prompt those reading to go to the forums and debate and discuss the topics. Like this one. [Smile]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

Theresa:

I agree with you. I don't mind to listen oppinions different from mine (is a way to learn something), but sometimes (too many times) political discussions are not about exposing reasons and arguments in a civilized way but about saying that somebody is "hateful", "stupid" a "moron", a "fascist", etc. (Not in this forum, God thanks). Or about writing five million words in order to expose a single idea.

I refuse to lose my time in that kind of useless discussions. Is better to use it re-reading Ender's game, for instance.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.