FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alai's Last Name?

Author Topic: Alai's Last Name?
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, does anyone remember whether Alai was given a last name anywhere in the Ender series? Papa Moose, here's your chance to really impress me! [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember one. But I haven't reread that series in a while.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall one either.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiberius.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Aliche?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a search, and I could find no reference to his last name.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, crap, gonna have to ask the author then [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I know this one!

Detek-Tortest

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog, all I can do is echo those who have no recollection of one being given. Sorry if that's not impressive.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
or is it REALLY his last name like on south park the kids call Eric Cartman "Cartman" which, of course, is his last name
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever find out the answer, Geoff? I'm curious.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Wow, 2004 ... I can look at the project I was working on then, and see what I wrote down. I don't think I found anything official, so either I put no name, or I got my dad to make one up [Smile] I'll get back to you.
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
Alai Everyman?
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Just ask your dad and then tell the rest of us Dog, the tension is killing me. [Angst]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Alai Jahwood?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Given the type of people on this forum, it is almost incoceivable that a last name was given in the story and that this question remained unanswered for so long.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely wasn't revealed in any of the books. The question is whether OSC has given him one off-screen, so to speak.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
No, see, Alai was his last name. His first name was Jai.

Or maybe I'm thinking of something else. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carn Carby
Member # 9033

- posted      Profile for Carn Carby   Email Carn Carby         Edit/Delete Post 
Jai? I don't remember anything about that in any of the books...
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
*groan at Youth and Verily*
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
(lol PSI and Youth)
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!!!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Cry] [Angst] [Confused]

-Could it be possible that the culture Alai came from only used one name and not both a first and a last name? [Dont Know] Or that when he became Caliph he simply was Caliph Alai so his last or first name (whichever the excluded one was) ceased to exist and became useless to the storyline.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*pets the Peguin*

Actually that would make sense, he simply did not possess a last name.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Prince and Cher.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

This is the second thread you have either pet or pat me in. Huh...*hug*
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcabrera35
Member # 8574

- posted      Profile for dcabrera35   Email dcabrera35         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out an unusual note.

Alai was Arab, (atleast around the area). Arabs usually don't have single last names. They usually go by the word 'ibn' (which is the arabic word for son) and then the name of the father.

Sometimes, however, they will have last names, but this could be an influence in giving him a last name, if he never had one [Smile]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say less like Cher or Prince and more like Meatloaf, actually.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penta
Member # 8950

- posted      Profile for Penta   Email Penta         Edit/Delete Post 
dcabrera has it right...almost.

MOST Arabs use the ibn construct.

Depending on WHERE in the Arab world one comes from, it may or may not apply.

The ibn construct only works for those societies recently come in from being nomads (most of em, granted), so it doesn't apply to all.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcabrera35
Member # 8574

- posted      Profile for dcabrera35   Email dcabrera35         Edit/Delete Post 
Penta: The ibn construct only works for those societies recently come in from being nomads

Yeah i should have rephrased that a bit.

The people that use it nowadays, most likely, are people probably living in Saudi, as you said, though it doesn't really follow a strict generalization anymore. Many people, even those who were recently nomads, now have regular last names.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon your an ORANGE COLOURED PEGUIN! How can anyone resist petting you?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Alia was a african muslim ?
Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

I have often wondered the same thing myself....
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss PSI.

And I think I would have noticed if Alai had a last name, at least from the books prior to SOTG. I read SOTG pretty fast, so it might have been in there and I didn't notice.

You know, there are a lot of English surnames with "son" in them, that no longer literally mean your father's name is John or Peter or Jen or Neil or...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Alai was African. I never gave him a last name. This was because by the time he cropped up in the Shadow books, I couldn't remember his last name and instead of exhaustively reading EG just to find out whether he had a last name, I simply never referred to one in the later books, either. I don't mind if he has a last name, I just never gave him one. The characters who addressed him thought of him as "Alai" and didn't need his last name - he was the only Alai they knew.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Another question on Alai's name. Is it pronounced "ah-LAI" or "AH-lai" (as in "ally")?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I always read it as "A lie" because in ... well shoot, now I can't remember, but in whichever Shadow book it is when Bean and Petra are saved by Alai's men, Bean ask's if it was Alai who was responsible and the men responded "No, a truth!" or something along those lines. I can get the page reference if you want, but I tried to keep the specifics of the situation at a minimum to keep from having to post an annoying spoiler warning. But yeah, that's what I remember.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
uh-LIE.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got that name right at least!

(I refuse to pronounce the Homecoming Saga names with the stressed syllables and the y's listed in the pronunciation notes, because they make the names sound totally unlike how they're spelled. To your credit, OSC, you say in those notes that it doesn't matter how you pronounce names when you read a story to yourself.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Creator Aleks
Member # 9134

- posted      Profile for Creator Aleks   Email Creator Aleks         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually for me, I`ve never felt the need to pronounce the names I`m reading. I just see each as symbol representing someone I guess. Alot of times I don`t even know what there names were if asked, I couldn`t spell it. I just read and know who these people are.

Sometimes it goes too far though, I`ll give them different names, like people I know or names that seem better "he sounds like a Tony".

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hubby and I like to discuss the books after we've both read them. The Homecoming names were particularly difficult ... we kept getting distracted by the pronunciations when we were trying to discuss the plot. "Is that how you say it? I was reading it as...."
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
ʔɑˈːlɪ

According to the best I know of North-African pronunciation of Arabic in IPA.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0range7Penguin:
This is the second thread you have either pet or pat me in. Huh...*hug*

*shakes head* Get a room you two. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.