FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How does card....

Author Topic: How does card....
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
Use so much Military Tactic in his Shadow Books and even the whole EG series?
Achilles...bean in the shadow....showed such high military experiences....was he in the army?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
No, but he does have a whole bunch of kids.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I never would guess being a father also makes you a tactician. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Nick

Have you ever seen how children act on a playground?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, OSC reads a lot. And then reads some more. And more. And more. Maybe he picked something up there.

Or maybe he's just a natural genius. Or possibly both. [Dont Know]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
Any suggestions on how to enjoy Card's sci-fi/fantasy novels? I have read his fiction (and loved each), read some of his short stories (enjoyed),I am eagerly awaiting my copy of his poetry book, but I cannot seem to get into his sci-fi. I read other sci-fi so maybe I am expecting his books to be like Robert Jordan's and Star Wars (they are not). What am I missing in his sci-fi? Need I be politically inclined?
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
He said eh gained a lot of his ideas from Asimov's Foundation series. Which is excellent.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read other sci-fi so maybe I am expecting his books to be like Robert Jordan's and Star Wars
Aah, I see why you're disappointed. The quality that OSC's missing and you're looking for is something I refer to as "suck".
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. I was really big on The New Jedi Order books until I read the full Ender series. After that, Star Wars never kept my intrest.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's no surprise. I loved Terry Brooks until I read Tolkien.

If you want to get into science fiction, try reading some of the classics. Off the top of my head, I recommend:

I, Robot by Asimov
Foundation Trilogy (long) by Asimov
2001 by Clarke
Dune by Herbert

If you read those and still say that you don't care for science fiction, then you probably just don't care for it. Which might be Ok, I guess.

[ April 28, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh W
Member # 5253

- posted      Profile for Josh W   Email Josh W         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, EG or the Shadow books are not really sci-fi. Card appears to be focusing on the characters on a psycological or personal level in a sci-fi setting. Example: Enders game is more about Enders struggle with himself, abilities, and deeper emotions than a book about war with aliens. So being a person who loves EG and Shadow Series and dislikes most sci-fi, I would assume that a avid sci-fi reader would not enjoy such books unless they also enjoy heavy character development.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's kind of prejudiced Josh.

It has character development so therefore it can't be Science Fiction? How much Sci-Fi have you read?

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Actually, Josh makes a good point. Much of science fiction, such as Clarke, has focused on the science, and not so much on the fiction. It would be impossible to tell the story of 2001 without it being a science fiction story.

But Card's stories rarely depend on the science-y setting to work as stories. They are more like Herbert's (Dune) work in that respect.

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that many of the issues in Card's books (defining alien races with which you can or cannot have peaceful contact, guilt for the death of an entire sentient race, the consequences of suspended animation running rampant through the upper classes of a society, finding out you are a mutant that grows extra arms and legs, finding out God is a machine left behind by your ancestors) are completely dependent on the science fiction setting. Some can be seen as analogies to real-life situations (Lanik's struggle, for instance, paralleled Card's own struggle with weight gain), but the science fiction setting is, at the very least, used to put those situations in a centrifuge, make them more extreme, and analyze them in a way you can't in modern settings.

Card proudly admits that he writes "soft" science fiction, which deals more with the personal and sociological impacts of hypothetical futures and worlds. Fiction that examines purely scientific potentialities are called "hard" science fiction.

The two are distinct, and most writers clearly fall into one category or the other, but there are also many who blur the line, and all of them fall well within the bounds of "science fiction".

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and to answer the original question, Card has been plotting to take over the world since he was a little kid with a political map of the earth hanging over his bed [Smile] He reads a lot of histories of wars, conquests, powerful individuals, and political machinations, and studies current events just as closely. Two of his most powerful influences at a young age were Foundation and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. So you can see where he went from there.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you ever seen how children act on a playground?
Point well taken, Boon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.