FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » sister carlotta and other non-american characters

Author Topic: sister carlotta and other non-american characters
namaki
Member # 6519

- posted      Profile for namaki   Email namaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I would like to throw a couple of thoughts to the winds where they might be whispered to the Honourable Card Family [Smile]

This is in relation to the Ender's Game movie, which has not yet been cast.

A fabulous Croatian actress who deftly portrays strong women would make a lovely Sister Carlotta -imho [Smile] Her name is Mira Furlan.

I would also like to toss out the suggestion to use many non-american actors and non-american accents (I envisioned Graff as South African -pronouncing the name Hraff - even though the IF is American). So many children from so many countries - it would be lovely to hear them speak in accents other than Standard American Mainstream.

Best regards,
Namaki

*Math Trouble? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]*

[ May 07, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: namaki ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, namaki. [Smile]

I [ROFL] ed at your sig!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that idea.

Ever read Bash.org namaki?

Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
well first off welcome and great joke. second im just thru rereading ender's game and it's dink that gives away the hole in your casting. Dink says the he isnt american like ender and the teachers so im going to assume that every teacher (Graff is a teacher) is american so u'd cast an American sounding actor and besides OSC wants Dakota Fanning to play Petra so i dont think proper racial and ethnic casting is in order so theres the ladder back to your level of Graff casting BLEH is nothing as it seems lol
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota Fanning is WAY too GIRLY to play Petra.
[Frown]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dink says the he isnt american like ender and the teachers so im going to assume that every teacher (Graff is a teacher) is american so u'd cast an American sounding actor and besides OSC wants Dakota Fanning to play Petra so i dont think proper racial and ethnic casting is in order so theres the ladder back to your level of Graff casting BLEH is nothing as it seems lol
In the movie they're going to combine Mazer and Graff, so it's up in the air what nationality that character would be anyway. I actually think he specified somewhere, but I don't remember.

Edit:
quote:
Dakota Fanning is WAY too GIRLY to play Petra.

So just because the actress is girly, she can't play a character who isn't? Would you prefer to typecast?

[ May 02, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

Hi - and thank you for the warm welcome!

bash.org? Never been there. But I shall take the trip especially [Razz]

the teachers... the guy that Bean pikes his password off of is Indian (or is it Thai?), isn't he? Uphanad, I think. You are right about Graff and Anderson though.

Mazer really should be Maori! It might be tough to find Maori screen actors, but if they start training someone with potential, they could easily be better than some of the Hollywood wax dolls by next year [Big Grin] ...of course - as long as the story works on film, I am not going to be particular about how they make it work.

Film/Book is never the same, and when it is (ha! listen to that logic!!) it often sucks. I have great faith in OSC [Smile]

All the best,
namaki

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

[ROFL]
I just visited bash.org - thanx!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That cranky grandfather in Whale Rider would make a decent Mazer.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In the "Polish Boy" short story Graff is definitely American. But I don't know which way they will go. I don't know if it makes sense to say Maoris are pretty westernized since they live between the west and the far east.

P.S. I think the role of America in the Hegemony is a fairly important point of the story. Card, is of course, an American and so his thoughts on the whole concept arose from him being here. It would be pretty difficult to transplant that. Likewise he lived in Brazil for a couple of years and had his reasons for choosing that as the eventual location of Peter's capital.

[ May 03, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

Yeah - I see the point of Americans being in charge of the fleet...

I really hope that whoever is in charge of casting makes an effort to cast non-american parts as non-american actors. There are loads of soldiers and even command staff that are of various nationalities other than US, (e.g. russians) - if only because battle school has indeed been running for a while and ALL kids with military talent (except Wiggins One and Two) go to battle school and graduate with some sort of command.

I get pretty frustrated watching movies when americans try to play russians and norwegians and french and all sorts of other things - and fail miserably. Of course, when an american actor does do a terrific job at a "foreign" part (and several do), well kudos to them!

[Big Grin] I'm glad I met you guys!

namaki

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey namaki! You're norwegian! Me too!

I see in you're profile that you're from Tromsų. I'm from Moss.

Cool, I'm not the only Norwegian OSC fan [Big Grin]

[ May 03, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

I'm only part Norse, but I guess that will have to do! My best buddy of all times lives in Moss, so I have been there several times and often! I have been doggedly and underhandedly created more Norwegian OSC fans by handing out books when ppl need them.

Tromsų is okay [Smile] The snow is almost gone, now. And in a couple of weeks things will start growing. It snowed again last friday, but not enough to put a layer on the roads, so I changed my tyres anyway yesterday, hoping that the very act of no longer having those spiked tyres doesn't bring a blizzard.

All the best,
Namaki

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
namaki, I myself was confused when you first posted this. But now that you have edited it to suggest Mira Furlan...

EXCELLENT!!!!!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Perfect! She would be perfect as Sister Carlotta. Also, it would be an cool tip of the hat to great sci-fi story (like Walter Koenig was).

Explination:

Mira Furlan played Dellen in one of the best science fiction stories of all time -- Babylon 5. Babylon 5 also had a minor character that was played by Walter Koenig, who is best known as Checkov on Star Trek.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

*phew* [Kiss] thank you Mr Porteiro Head, for reading my post as it now stands [Big Grin]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Arg. Thinking about this made me sad all over again that I don't own the Babylon 5 DVDs. [Cry]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
MidnightBlue,

Are you serious about this combination of Graff and Mazer?

Maff, Maffer, Grazer?! I don't see how this could possibly work.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.