FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » SFtD

Author Topic: SFtD
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
im on chapter 4..its kinda boring....will it ever pick up?
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sobenz
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Sobenz   Email Sobenz         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not like Ender's Game; there's less action and more philosophy and mystery.

If that's not your thing...

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
it wont pick up like enders game but as said b4 if it is your thing it'll be good from others' opinions ive heard this is a book you either like or hate
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
some people don't like the SftD, Xenocide, CotM sequals as they are not like EG in that they don't have as much action, the focus more on philosophy and ideals and such. They touch on a lot of moral issues and their implications. That being said, I personally liked them as I felt that they were very deep.

If you want more books like EG (in the action department), you should read the shadow books (enders shadow, shadow of the hegemon, Shadow puppets). These books follow earth in the period directly following EG. Well, Ender's Shadow is actually parallel to EG not right after it, but the others are right after it.

[ May 02, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
The Shadow series
Is amazibng
read ES.S hegemon and SP 10 times each

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont take offense in this but I see the Shadow series as more entertainment. The Ender series is literature and therefore meant for intllectuals. Though I enjoy the Shadow series it will never compare to the values and morals Ive taken from the Ender series as well as Card's other books.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Speaker and Shadow series both offer different things, each of them pure entertainment, but saying that the Shadow series has a lot more action isn't 100% true. After all, who could forget the last few climatic chapters in Children of the Mind? In my opinion, the chapters when Peter and Wang-Mu dealt with the Little Doctor and confronted Admiral Bobby Lands were more thrilling than all of Shadow Puppets.

But hey, political thrillers are fun too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You just get pissed of cause you can't figure out what happened to Libo. I was the same way. Don't worry, all will be explained and everything will be great along the way. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I thought the Ender books were far more exciting than the Shadow Books. I think some of the Shadow books are like reading a movie script sometimes. Not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's it Nick. I've always felt the Shadow books have a Tom Clancy type of treatment that make them better movie candidates than SFtD.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.