FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I was reading...

Author Topic: I was reading...
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
A Old feb 2004 article on the enders Game movie...
And WB is gonna create a videogame to tie in.....
This is gonna be LOTR Big..i swear

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
As big as the Lord of the Rings? No way. OSC's books are good, but they will never be as popular as JRR Tolkien's books. Not that popularity has anything to do with quality... [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does there being a video game tie-in mean that the Ender's Game movie will be huge? "Hulk" had a video game. Was that movie huge?

I highly disbelieve that Ender's Game will be as big as "the motion picture epic of our time."

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but you forgot one large factor. The Hulk wasn't any good...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
cRaZy,

Assuming Ender's story makes it celluloid (or DV) before that medium is obsolete, you could be right.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I worry about the appeal of an Ender's Game movie. Having kids do violence on each other will prob make many people squeamish. I think the other ender books (speaker for the dead, xenocide...) would be better accepted.

Of course I will see it, and am glad it is being made...I just don't think it will be a big blockbuster.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
But hasn't the enders game book been more popular than any of the sequels?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard for me to imagine SftD being a good movie. I mean, what actually *happens*? It's mostly a bunch of guys talking.

Although it would be a good candidate for a sci-fi latin-style novela. (Novelas are soap operas that have a single story arc that lasts for a few months, and then are over.)

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it isn't a really big blockbuster, as horrible as that sounds. Because it will ruin it for me. Ruin it. I don't want everyone walking around talking about the movie with never bothering to read the book.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

^ thats the great thing though.
YOU will know all the details...
say
YEs thats true but ender Loved peter.....
ect....
And the hulk..Ok it was a new story of the hulk...
this is right out of the book.
LOTR was out of a book...
besides EG and ES r some of the most worshipped books of our time...

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's not exactly true. You're making Ender's Game sound more popular than it actually is.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of EG I could see a pretty darned good movie coming, or a piss poor one, all depending on how it's made... But about three quarters of what made those books so great was the psychology, so I really don't know.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

^ But...i think OSC was gonna move alot of the emotion..into ..like weird spurts he has or somthing...
maybe the guy from that show where he narrated his life...that be cool if they had a voice like that.

fallow
Member # 6268

the biggest prob with making a movie out of EG is not the translation of book to film but a sense of originality. many of the themes of EG have already (one way or another) been part and parcel of cinematically (box-office) successful films. told straight, it's going to come across as a big fat *yawner* of a johnny-come-lately derivative.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of game would this be RPG? or something else? I wonder how EG could be put into a video game, cause its person vs person. Unless they just base it on the battle room
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Needs to be like a Battle Room game. Like anyone remember Blitzball from Final Fantasy X. If they expanded upon that and made it actually good... that' be an awesome game.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmmonRah
Member # 6583

- posted      Profile for AmmonRah   Email AmmonRah         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just sorry that the producers feel that they have to combine EG and ES into one movie and tell it all in less than 2 hours. The successes of LOTR and Troy show that really good movies can go longer if they are good stories with characters that the audience cares about.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Luckily, the familial estrangement and love ties in the Ender story can be accomplished much more quickly on screen than in a novel.

fallow

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.