FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What to read next?

Author Topic: What to read next?
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay should i start the alvin series by getting seventh son, or should i get first meetings, cause i want to read the 3 other stories
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin is good, most people like that series. I like Homecoming because of it's sci-fi and some of its points on faith.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
First Meetings includes stories all set in the Enderverse, and most will probably make more sense after you've read at least Ender's Game. It includes the novella version of EG, the first meeting between Ender's dad and Graff, Ender's parents, and finally Ender & Jane. IIRC, Jane doesn't show up until Speaker for the Dead, but the story will still make sense after reading EG.

Personally, I like the Ender books a little better than the Alvin Maker series, though, so I'd start with Ender's Game, and move on from there.

[ June 04, 2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: BlueJacsFan ]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Enderwillsaveusall.... have you read any of the other stand-alone books by OSC? Which ones have you read?

Try reading Enchantment, or Pastwatch, or Wyrms or Songmaster.

Unless you're really wanting to start on a whole series..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Worthing Saga
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I know lots of people recommend Worthing Saga, but you know I had a really really hard time getting into that one. It sat on my nightstand for many nights, and I just trudged through parts of it.

Maybe it was just the mood I was in.

Like I'm trying to read Lost Boys right now, but having read the short story, I have an idea where it is going to lead, and I find that the story depresses me, so I quit reading.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Lost Boys was really depressing. The ending shocked me though, since I hadn't read the short story yet. I never even saw it coming.

But The Worthing Saga is a work of art(IMO). You should try and read it again [Smile]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6584

- posted      Profile for Locked   Email Locked         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game and the Homecoming series are by far the best of all OSC's work. You'll get really into them, and they are easy to undertand and follow, while at the same time remaining complex and interesting. But if you want something lighter, choose Homecoming, i find it has more humor whereas Ender's Game deals with a few more serious points.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read Eg. enders shadow, shadew of the hagemon, and shadow puppets.

But i decided to read seventh son. Im on page 100 and liking it so far. A little confusing at times but still enjoying it.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. Seventh Son. I love the first three books of that series.

Farmgirl, I had that 'trudging' problem with Pastwatch. Crazy, huh? I had to start it at least 3 times before I finally got through it. I loved it, but it was just hard for me to get into and STAY into. Weird.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Narn,

I understand exactly what you're saying about Pastwatch. In fact when I was reading it first time, I told someone "I dunno - this has a lot of history, but isn't very interesting so far". But then that "twist" to the story came at the end of chapter 5 (which I won't spoil here) and everything perked up and I couldn't put it down the rest of the way!

I think all the background needed at the first just makes it kind of slow until the story all falls into place and you realize what is going on. But it is still one of my very favorites.

Farmgirl

Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin is GREAT, i have read the first book, (almost read it straight through without putting it down... which is something consindering i have ADD [Big Grin] ) but I am having trouble locating a copy of red prophet... I have been to two barnes and nobles already and they were out [Mad]
Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Check your local library, or used book store....

FG

Diane S.
Member # 6612

- posted      Profile for Diane S.   Email Diane S.         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites are
Pastwatch:The redemption of Christopher Columbus
and
Lovelock.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<----loved Worthing Saga & Pastwatch:The redemption of Christopher Columbus!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.