FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Who is he?

Author Topic: Who is he?
simonius
Member # 6597

- posted      Profile for simonius   Email simonius         Edit/Delete Post 
I read only Ender's and Shadows sagas. And one book which title in English I dont know. I suppose it's something with a "worm". A story of a girl, who went to a mountain to meet a beast. But I remember nothing else of it. No... I remember a library, where everything was messy, but it's owner knew where averything was. Now I thing you'll know that book it is.
I must say, that I liked every of those books. Perhaps "Children of the mind" were worse than others, but still gripping. Never have I read any interviews with OSC, except one, written about 7 years ago. He talked with Polish readers via net. It was very short and I still craved more info;)
And so I know nothing about him, but the things I read in books. So he is Mormon (is the spelling correct?), has three children and loving wife. Has meny friends among his readers (he wrote that in a short story, which title I forgot again. It was about Ender and Val coming to a new planet, where Ender had to pay his taxes, for he was old enough.
And I still didnt know about his personality. And so i wondered, whether it's possible to know that only from his books...
First of all, what made him write Ender's Game? Was it the Buggers or Space or war? I though quite long. I think it'll be the battle room.
Is he a realist? Does he like writing, or it's his way of life? Is he vain (having a website about himself and fora about him)? I think he isnt. It looks as though he had been writing EG for a long time. I think he wanted to show himself in this book. Perhaps he wanted to have some influence ont he world around, was mistreated or something- just guessing. Every writer has such things I think.
Or perhaps he had a wish to create? In my opinion it's a very noble wish. Creating the empire of humanity spreading throughout the Universe, by killing the Buggers. Very great thing to do- show the greatness of making and destroying simultanously.
It's possible that no-one will post any reply. I just wrote it, because I look up to OSC and want to know him better. You may help me. Or perhaps OSC himself, which I doubt (I asked a question but it looks as though I did something wrong, for it didn;t appear anywhere; perhaps only a few are shown avery month or something?)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that the introductions and afterwords he writes are quite informative for getting to know Scott Card the person. He also writes two weekly columns, which you should see linked on the left (OSC Reviews Everything and War Watch). Beyond that, you might try picking up his book on writing scienc fiction and fantasy; even if you're not altogether interested in the subject matter, the text should give you a fair idea of his personality. Also of interest is Edith Tyson's Orson Scott Card: Writer of the Terrible Choice (which I have yet to locate myself; Edith is also an active member of this forum).

One other recommendation: Read Lost Boys. Start with the novel and then read the short story, which you can find in Maps in a Mirror. Lost Boys is very influenced by Card's family and circumstances, so much so that he uses his own family as the characters in the short story (which is why I recommend reading the novel first). I have only recently read the novel and short story myself; I've been a Card fan for long enough that I can't remember when I started, starting with Ender's Game and working my way from there. And I must say: Lost Boys may well be his best work ever. Go forth, read, and enjoy.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's possible that no-one will post any reply."

hahaha. Not likely around here bro.

"And I still didnt know about his personality. And so i wondered, whether it's possible to know that only from his books..."

Nope. Some of the core aspects possibly if you are very perceptive. Not much more. I've read about twenty OSC books and been on this forum for a fair while now, and I'm not much closer to knowing his personality.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.