FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "The Gaint"

Author Topic: "The Gaint"
Barak_Israel
Member # 6576

- posted      Profile for Barak_Israel   Email Barak_Israel         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Fantasy ther's that part with the GAINT. I understood that it is for cheking if ther is a chance that the kid will kill him self(יבצע התאבדות).
This part didn't had an end , any cup u chose u'll die. but Ender did go thrugh this chalnge
(אתגר). any way what really make me wondr iswhen Endr get to the planet where he find the queen and he see the the gaint game take for of a land... how come? and why?

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure I followed that last sentence in your post, but I'll take a crack at what I think the question was.

If I'm remembering the book correctly, The Hive Queen was attempting to communicate with Ender through the Fantasy game. The game was never supposed to get beyond the final decision, so anything after that was formulated by the Hive Queen. She created that image of the sleeping giant to look like a natural land formation on her planet. By doing that, she intended to help Ender recoginze the planet when he arrived.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll share what I remember.

The hive-queen was communicating with Ender through the Ansible, though it was at an unconscious level for Ender. The giant's game was a very potent image for Ender, so they built the giant and used it as a flag to say to Ender "Look Here".

The hive-queen did not mess with the Giant's game direcly. Jane, on the other hand, gained a lot of her initial personality from it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.