FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin's all tuckered out AGAIN?!?!

Author Topic: Alvin's all tuckered out AGAIN?!?!
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so I just finished reading Seventh Son and Red Prophet and I couldn't figure out why Alvin gets tired after healing himself and others, is it from the mental exertion it takes to "explain to the universe how the tissue is supposed to be" or however it was explained?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny P,

Exertion implies expenditure of energy. I could imagine that the act of healing, particularly of others, might constitute an exceptional drain.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
A molecule or particle isn't going to move just because it has a will to. It needs the energy to propel itself, or a force pushing or pulling it. Where would this come from?

Also, intense concentration can exhaust people. I think it is very consistant with what Alvin is doing.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
From how I read those books, the particles *do* just move because they want to.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Quantum Reality...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
first of all excuse my grammer.

Second of all, OSc created this story in a world where magic works. It is impossible to try and explain things that happens in the story by what we know in our world because it isnt the same.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Little Doctor.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manz7
Member # 2877

- posted      Profile for manz7   Email manz7         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm back. Haven't been around in a while.

Yes, it's a lot of energy used to help someone (or yourself) to heal. Read up on it. Some people get completely drained. As for myself, it doesn't bother me much.

I've read all of the Alvin Maker series and I like it. Just wish that OSC would keep on writing more about 7th sons. Big parts of his work is true -"IF"- you believe. Faith healing has been around since before Doctors and etc.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Never really exerted yourself thinking? [Wink] Sorry, low blow but welcome to Hatrack. The brain does use over 1/4 of the body's basal metabolism without really even trying to do anything.

However, mental exhaustion tends to come not from calorie expenditure, but from neurotransmitter use. That's part of why we have to spend a lot of our lives sleeping.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Faith healing has been around since before Doctors and etc.
Indeed, and there is a reason doctors replaced them, to wit, medical science works reliably.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manz7
Member # 2877

- posted      Profile for manz7   Email manz7         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, is that why they call it a practice? But, overall, with liability lawsuits and etc - they do have to have everybody sign-off on complications and anything else that could go wrong. I know, I've had a couple of operations (myself) and they make you sign off all kinds of ways - so that you can't sue. It was my good luck that there were no complications.

I went to a dentist when I was 17 or 18 and he was drunk - broke my tooth inside - left it there and when I went in the service in 1968 the Army dentist had a very hard time to fix the mess the drunk did. I was young - what did I know. It was not the "sue me" era.

But, OSC - does make great books - that's what these links are all about - his stuff and how it relates to life. It does - a lot.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, it takes energy (which was extracted from ingested food) to move those neurotransmitters around. Active transport takes quite a bit of ATP and other cellular energy.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.