FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Petered out...

Author Topic: Petered out...
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
So many Peters, so few Petras.

fallow-cum-Peter

[ June 12, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*tweezes eyebrows*

*crickets chirp*

"tough audience..."

*resumes tweezing*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

- posted      Profile for julian   Email julian         Edit/Delete Post 
fallow:

<SPECULATION>

Nobody talks for everybody, said once the Spanish philosopher Jose Ortega y Gasset.

OSC has a public (like all writers), he doesn't speak for "humanity". It seems that most of OSC's public, represented in this forum, is more interested in characters like Peter than in characters like Petra.

</SPECULATION>

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

julian

<H-wood on>

quote:
It seems that most of OSC's public, represented in this forum, is more interested in characters like Peter than in characters like Petra.
This is a fallacy. Any audience will respond to a story well-told, with heart. Finding the heart of a movie-going audience is something altogether different from finding that of a SF-centric one.

</H-wood off>

fallow

Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, did I get lost somewhere in all that or what...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
:stupid:

Man, you guys don't have an "I'm with stupid" smiley here [Frown]

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

fallow:

"Any audience will respond to a story well-told, with heart"

I don't know... I still think that doesn't exist a story with an universal audience, even well-told stories (and OSC stories are VERY well-told IMHO)

But think about this. Some critics give 1 point --very bad--, some give five --master piece-- to the same film. The Lord of the Rings trilogy bored me to death (I think that the normal, not the extended version of each one was 1 hour too long). Each time I say this I have to run for my life, because most of my friends try to kill me.

Was Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ well-told and with heart? I think so, but a lot of people don't agree with that.

It's not so evident for me that the inexistence of the universal audience is a fallacy.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
But everyone loves monty python!

j/k

The reason that your friends run after you when you say that is because the extended editions are 1 hour too short. The only reason you got bored was because you're raised in a 2 hour movie world...

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

ArCHeR:

>>you're raised in a 2 hour movie world

I don't think so. Spartacus, Gone with the wind, The Schindler list, Tarkoski's Solaris, The ten commandments and others didn't seem long to me and I found some one hour films boring. I didn't agree with the cuts made to "Love actually" in order to make it a two hours movie.

And I love Monty Python but, believe it or not, some of the LOTR lovers that ask for my neck hate Monty Pyhton.

Please, don't run after me. I don't deny that LOTR are good films. My point is that they are not good for me. An example: for me "Return of the King" ends with everybody honoring the hobbits after Aragorn's coronation and all the scenes that come after this are completely unnecesary. But this is not a LOTR thread. It's possible to discuss this, if you want, in another one.

My point was that even good things, even master pieces, are not good for everybody. Different souls have different sensibilities.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering Petra wasn't supposed to be that big of a character to begin with, I'm grateful for the amount of play she's gotten. I have to say a book only about Bean, Achilles, and Peter would be... well, I just can't imagine it. Not that it couldn't exist.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

Thanks, Pooka. I'm also grateful for the amount of play she's gotten, enough to give her strength. It happens than Petra is one of my favourite OSC characters.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather hear less about Bean and Petra and more about Peter and his folks.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Julian,

Good points. Though, I didn't mean to equate "respond" (or response) with positive reception.

[Confused]

fallow

julian
Member # 6540

fallow:

Now we agree. The amount of positive reaction is what changes, though some responses may be quite small if the author sensibility doesn't connect with yours.

fallow
Member # 6268

julian,

thanks for helping me clarify a few thoughts knocking around in my noggin. [Hat]

'sensibility' is a little vague in my mind. i'd been thinking about 'accessibility' after your first post. that, I think I understand. by sensibility you mean 'taste'?

fallow

Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter needs his own book.. grar...

-Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

fallow

Yes, I meant taste, I suppose. Sorry. Remember that I'm a spanish speaker. So don't be surprised if sometimes I don't choice the best words.

Julian

julian
Member # 6540

fallow:

Thinking about it, "taste" is not the word.

Let me intend to explain what I mean. Having a 18 years marriage and being the father of a teenager, family relations are closely related with my personal experience, and I'm very "touched" by stories about that subject. So, "Speaker for the dead" and "Lost boys" go deeper in my inside than, for example, "Ender's game". I don't mind to confess that I even cry with the first two books, but not with Ender's Game (that I like very much, but it's not MY book).

Sensibility? Taste? Closeness to personal experience? I don't know. But is that what I mean with the idea that nobody speaks for everybody.

fallow
Member # 6268

Julian,

I think I get it. You mean something along the lines of "resonance". Something "rings true" or touches on something personally identifiable?

I'm not sure that's so different from mere "taste" though it sounds a little more "fancy".

"Sensibility" seems a little different from what you describe.

interesting.
[Smile]

fallow

[ June 17, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.