FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Worthing saga (and my stupidity)

Author Topic: Worthing saga (and my stupidity)
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got "The worhting Saga" the other day and I'ma bout half way through, and its interesting and I think alittle disapointing to me at the very same time. I love the plot it is genius. YOu can really see how Osc developed in writing, little pieces that make me think of "Ender's game" and also "alvin Maker" are strewn everywhere. That to me is the disapointment. Simply because I like to believe that Osc just pulled it allout of thin air at once. That he was a genius all in one day... he never had to practice or anything like that. I relaize how ill-logical this is. But a girl can dream. [Smile]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

- posted      Profile for julian   Email julian         Edit/Delete Post 
gwan

Look for "Maps in a Mirror" if you want to know more about this process of development of a writer. It's very interesting and it's also one of the great things about OSC: he doesn't hide his secrets, he shares everything.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I like "The Worthing Saga" because it's really neat how he pulled this series of stories into a cohesive tale. I've read it about 3 or 4 times, skipping around from section to section, now that it's familiar to me.

Off topic, I picked up Heinlein's "I Will Fear No Evil" last night. Haven't read it in several years, and don't have Ender to hand. (Maybe my birthday present to myself tomorrow?) Heinlein had some pretty far out ideas, but often really good stuff that just takes some reflection.

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being baffled by the Worthing Saga because OSC said something about how he had been thinking of that story in that universe for years and years. I realize that I'm NOT a story teller and it truly is an innate talent. I love the thought of people growing up with ideas for stories and finally getting them out on paper.

And I love being the one to read the revised and edited workings of their minds. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.