FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Nah

Author Topic: Nah
Melchior
Member # 5519

- posted      Profile for Melchior   Email Melchior         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that I would like an Ender's Game video game. I think that all should be left to the imagination, and that the things like battle school, command school, and the simulators would be better off percieved the way that you want them to look like. It would spoil the book.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you might want to steer clear of the movie ...
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphinki
Member # 6686

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphinki   Email Julian Delphinki         Edit/Delete Post 
If the books of OSC were not as sophisticated and advanced as they are, than yes a video game would be a superb idea for marketing the books. However, it requires some intellect to read these novels a video game would have to be able to provide complexity. Due to the lack of technology this would be extremely difficult if not impossible to do. Therefore, to make a video game on these books would only bring down the intellectual challenge i view in OSC's work.

In plain english that means..... Nah! [Evil]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
i would like to see a video game and the movie come out just out of the fact that i love Eg and id like to see how everything is "supposed to look."

On the other hand i think anyone who reads Eg has their own image of what battle school,and the battle room etc really look like. I think that is a personal thing and by creating a video game or the movie it could change thier whole outlook on the book.

So i say Eg should be left to the imagination. But it would be intresting to see

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the movie/video game looks a certain way, doesn't mean that's how it was "supposed to look".
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem--and what keeps me up late at night--is that once a book is adapted into a game/movie, I'm unable to go back to imagining it the way I originally imagined it. All the characters turn into the actors in the movie; all the scenery and events become the movie scenery/events.

I don't know if it's just me, or if I have a weak imagination, but I can't get the movie images out of my head. So if they adapt Ender's Game and do a shoddy job of it, it's a lot more depressing than a shrug and a "well, at least there's still the book."

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already posted my opinion of an Ender's Game movie on another forum but what the hay-

I am SO afraid that hollywood is going to ruin the book. [Angst] It would be a shame if people were introduced to Ender in a crappy movie- [Wall Bash] I guess I feel sort of protective- at the end of Children of the Mind I was in tears [Cry] - to me Ender is like a real person- I would hate to see him portrayed inaccurately [Mad]

I hope OSC has A LOT of say in the final screen play.. I know he wouldn't betray Ender!!! [Smile]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that all depends on how strictly you define 'betray'. OSC is on record as saying that he doesn't regard "literary faithfulness" as a goal in movie adaptations. Basically, he's going to be doing the movie as a movie, and he wants it to be a good movie. Not simply a visual aid for the book. I get the distinct impression that whenever he's faced with the choice of either staying true to the book at the expense of the movie, or making something good for the movie even though it contradicts the book, he'll always choose in favor of the movie. To anyone who complains, he'll simply point out that the movie doesn't erase the book, and anyone is free to go back and read the book again.

In other words, don't expect that movie-Ender is going to be exactly the same as book-Ender. If you go to the movie expecting it to be a complete visual reproduction of the book, you're going to be disappointed. There will be changes, and lots of them. So I admit I'm kind of worried. Why bother having a movie, even if it is good, if it changes every detail and has nothing to do with the book? But every indication is that OSC, at least, knows what he's doing. I'm going to try to have faith that he'll only make the right changes.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should clarify- I'm not realy against changes to the book for the movie, after all they are taking TWO in depth books and making ONE movie. I just want Ender to be Ender and Bean to be Bean. I want the move to LIVE up to the book.
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Changes I can handle. Staunch faithfulness to the book isn't as important as the quality of the movie itself.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, FoolishTook. Once I see a movie, those images are stuck in my head when I read the book.

Some exceptions:

Dune and it's sequels. Since there have been two pretty different movies made of it, I think it creates conflict in my mind, allowing me to imagine what I want.

Tolkien. I read those books many times before the movies came out, and I have looked at a lot of Tolkien artwork. A lot of my images come from the paintings that have been done, which the movies were pretty faithful to. The only exception is gollum -- he always looks like the animated gollum from the cartoon in my mind.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helene
Member # 6710

- posted      Profile for helene   Email helene         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that Ender being my favorite book of OSC's I'm worried about seeing a movie out of it... But curious as well.

Anyway, living in France I'll have to wait a lot i guess [Smile]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.