FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Crystal City - Heartfire

Author Topic: Crystal City - Heartfire
dr34m
Member # 6753

- posted      Profile for dr34m   Email dr34m         Edit/Delete Post 
I just (finally) read crystal city. it felt like i was missing something when it started, and after rereading all the old books i realized there was a significant gap between heartfire and crystal city.

is there some short story or novella that fills this gap? if so where can i find it. i wanna know more about the trip down on the boat.

another thing: was the town of crystal city with the white prophet ever mentioned in the book crystal city? if it was i just missed it, if it wasnt, is it mentioned or explained somewhere else? obviously if there is a short story or novella filling in the gap it doesnt have to be in CC but i was wondering about it and if there were any references to it that i missed.

thank you for your time

dr34m

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
The story between Heartfire and Crystal City is called "Yazoo Queen" and is in Legends II, a collection of Short stories by a bunch of authors.

AFAIK, nothing was ever done with "Crystal City" and the White Prophet. Not sure where that was supposed to go.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dr34m
Member # 6753

thank you! i have one of the other legends anthologies, and i tend to enjoy the other work with OSCs so ill pick that up soon.

i wonder about that white prophet story tho =/

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are three short stories that fill the gap -- Grinning Man (in Legends I), The Yazoo Queen (in Legends II), and an as-yet-unwritten short with the working title White Prophet. Yazoo Queen happens immediately preceding Crystal City. I presume that White Prophet will deal with the gentleman by that name, as well as the town called Crystal City.

Welcome to Hatrack.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dr34m
Member # 6753

ahhh thank you. and thank you for the welcome.

i think i used to have an account here many years ago, but havent been actively reading OSC for a bit (took a break to let new books build up) so hadnt come here for a good bit either.

thank you all again for the information

-dr34m

IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the "Grinning Man" between Heartfire and Crystal City? I thought it was between Journeyman and Heartfire?

Glad to hear about "White Prophet". That should be interesting.

Ian

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I reserved Legends 2 from the library, but it listed stories that are in Legends 1. Weird.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah romanylass, it's kind of confusing. They originally released a single hardback book called Legends. For the paperback release, though, they split it into two volumes, which they called Legends I and Legends II. Then they released the hardback follop to Legends, and called it Legends II. Isn't that lovely?

[Edit--hey, how do you like that? I coined a new word--"follop". I was trying to type "follow up", since "sequel" doesn't quite describe the relationship between the two Legends hardbacks, but apparently my subconscious decided to invent a word instead. Henceforth, similarly themed anthologies and collections spawned from a successful earlier release will be termed "follops".

For example, you might say "I thought that Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions anthology had a much better selection than did it's follop, Again Dangerous Visions]

[ September 02, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.