FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New 'Ender's Game Movie' Info

Author Topic: New 'Ender's Game Movie' Info
henrikrh
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for henrikrh   Email henrikrh         Edit/Delete Post 
Though this information will is not anything huge some people may find it quite important if the book is very close to them. Here is an e-mail I sent to Hatrack River and the reply...

Me:
"As an avid fan of the Ender Saga I would just like to ask if OSC will be using the word bugger or formlic in the screenplay for the Ender's Game movie. To appeal to a wider audience, particularly in Britain where 'bugger' is an explitive, the use of the word formlic to describe the aliens would probably be a good idea."

Them:
"Thank you for your letter. At this point, the screenplay is still in the works, so that's a question I can't answer. I've seen several drafts, however, and I've seen both words used. Sorry I can't help you more than that."

The reply was very warm and though my question was not fully answered I still felt satisfied.

What are you guys personally hoping for? Bugger or Formlic?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Bugger if they can keep it from not sounding "cheesy". If not then the other sounds more formal.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think bugger would be more realistic; formic would probably be the more-or-less formal name used by intellectuals, but the common populace would be more apt to use bugger, which sounds more like an insult.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Let the kids call them buggers and let the adults call them Formics, I say.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Buggers will be more the "enlisted man" term, and the teachers and officers should call them formics, however since the whole of battle school is cadet training I would guess that they would use the gentleman model and call them Formics.

Funny thing, I was using formic acid in a chemistry class and found out that it was originally derived by grinding up ants, and thus learned the origin of the Formics name! Still seems pretty arbitrary, after all that is not the name that they have for themselves! Don't see why it cannot be many names.

Didn't the Chinese or call them the sky dragons in one of the Bean books?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
The kids should use 'Buggers', the adults should use 'Formics'. Maybe it won't be offensive if kids use it, as it would show their slang and that they are children, if they use formics I think it'll be easier to forget that they are just kids (though actually seeing the kid when he says formic is different then reading about a kid saying formic..blah..).

[ September 22, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Just another Dharma bum ]

Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are you guys personally hoping for? Bugger or Formlic?
I'd be very offended if they were called FormLics. However, I have no problem with them being called Formics. [Wink] Seriously though, I think Formics should be the PC term used by the media and politicians, in Battle School it's always buggers.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*points to PWEB for some fresh news, pointing to AICN's coverage, and adding a little more to it.*
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.