FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Need more authors to read

Author Topic: Need more authors to read
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
I only recently learned that reading was enjoyable when about 3 years ago i read Enders Game. From that moment i couldnt keep my hands off of Osc books. Hes basically the only author i read. I enjoy his style and his genre but i think its time to expand my horizons. You guys and gals know any other authors i might enjoy

[ September 28, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, for me I like Peirs Anthony (incarnation series) and Isaac Asimov (Foundation series, 'nuff said).
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
Try reading Dune, written by Frank Herbert. Great novel! If you like it a lot, there are plenty more in the series.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, who takes up significant shelf space....
Frank Herbert (Dune)
Stephen King
Anne McCaffrey (Pern and Talents series)
Isaac Asimov
Terry Goodkind
John Sandford
Ridley Pearson
Janet Evanovich
Anne Rice
James Patterson
Brian Lumley (Necroscope series)

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Heinlein is always good reading.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Octavia Butler is excellant.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Lawhead
Michael A. Stackpole
Lindsey Davis

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Member # 5370

- posted      Profile for Roland           Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman
Jasper Fforde
Alan Moore

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
C.S. Forester - the Horatio Hornblower series

I wish OSC would write some nautical fiction...

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter. F. Hamilton.
Terry Pratchett.
Irvine Welsh.
Arthur C clarke.
Me.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read much scifi...but as for fantasy

Goodkind
Eddings
Feist
Jordan
Haydon
Britan
King (Dark tower)
Martin

The first 3 are the ones I like best...the others are in random order.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anivicky
Member # 6911

- posted      Profile for Anivicky   Email Anivicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I've read a few of the authors that you guys have mentioned. but I still feel no one comes close to OSC. I've read Frank Herbert, Terry Goodkind, Stephen King, Anne Bishop, Tad Williams, NO ONE COMPARES! I really need to find something insightful and beutiful like OSC's writing. Help me find something.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't read 'em, I liked the Harry Potter books.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Alfred Bester
Philip K. Dick
Ursula K. le Guin
John Kessel
Cordwainer Smith
A. E. van Vogt
H. G. Wells
Jules Verne

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas Adams
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

*twitches* I... despise... H.G. Wells, for personal reasons, there is a proper amount of description in a book, but the amount he put into War of the Worlds made me go nuts...

Plus, he owns the title The Last War... [Grumble]

[ October 04, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
I despise:
Ursula K.LeGuin
Peirs Anthony
Stephan R.Donaldson
Terry Brooks

I find Tolkien to be overly verbose, and I don't much like Heinlien.

But they are all "classics" people will tell you to read. So, you might like them, but don't feel like you are some low brow knuckle-dragger if you don't like them.

I have found:
Terry Goodkind, (gets repetitive though)
Robert Jordan,
Jack Chalker, (Just the first 3 dancing Gods)
Tom Clancy,
Steven Coonts, and
W.E.B.Griffin,
To all be entertaining.

No one compares to OSC, though.

But W.E.B Griffin and Steven Coonts have a natural Storytelling about them that makes them almost as enjoyable.

W.E.B.Griffin is extremely readable and full of military/police minutia, but if you are a person of delicate sensibilities, then stay away. His books belie their military nature with the kind of language that servicemembers are prone to use.

Honestly, People can't stop raving about LeGuin and Donaldson, so give them a read. I personally felt violated, and wanted the time back, but that's just me.

A lot of people like Charles DeLint, and I liked the first few books of his I read too. But reading DeLint is like listening to Lillith Fair artists, a lot of fairies, elves, Ren Faires, estrogen and rape/abuse recovery crap. After awhile his inability to write about anything else gets annoying, but he has some good stuff.

Oh yeah, I think Mercedes Lackey and Anne Mcaffery are hacks, but I still enjoyed some of their stuff. Like watching Knight Rider, or eating Twinkies, No redeeming value, but still fun, sometimes.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Why don't you like Peirs Anthony? I like his writing.
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
His fantasy stuff is okay, not that inspiring to me, but I realized I truly despised his work when I read the cluster trilogy. I have never understood the school of thought that says Sci-Fi has to have arbitrary rape scenes, but some Sci-Fi authors seem to have to throw that in there. I have no problem with sex scenes in a book, but Anthony seems to just toss them in there for no good reason.

I usually like to have some ability to identify with a character, or I will lose interest in a book. The one exception is OSC, who for some reason, can write about characters and things which I have no interest in, while still keeping my interest.

That Arbitrary, "Where-the-hell-did-that-come-from" sex scenes are also why I almost quit reading the Lord Foulbane series by Donaldson. How am I supposed to maintain interst in a leper-rapist? I only kept reading the series because so many people compared it to the Alvin Maker series. Then I realized I thoroughly hated the character not just for his action at the start of the book but for his constant whining. But you asked about Anthony, not Donaldson.

I have also not continued to try to find good Anthony book, because the type of people who reccomend them to me, (The ones I know, not the online ones,) were really into that kinky RPG/Con/Fanfic/Furry type writing, and I hate that crap.

[ October 04, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Mazer ]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Ah, yes, un-needed sex in books is just terrible, if it doesn't really amount to anything storywise, what's the point?

I see your point, but because of the quality of his writing, I still like Peirs Anthony. ^_^

bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Ursula K. le Guins writing don't you like? I've only read her Earthsea stuff and some other stories but I know people who have read her other stuff and liked it. Though I do know of one person that doesn't like most of her stuff.

I've read some of Piers Anthony's Xanth stuff and I liked it.

I've read the first two of Terry Goodkind's series and I enjoyed those. But I don't have any desire to read Robert Jordan, with his huge books and series that doesn't end. Or Eddings or Tad Williams or any of those type of fantasy books.

I liked A Canticle of Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

And Brian Jacques Redwall books I've liked.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Member # 6791

- posted      Profile for Cypher   Email Cypher         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no one mentioned Dan Simmons. His Hyperion Cantos (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion) is superb.

And of course there's Douglas Adams, Frank Herbert (and the entire Dune series, by his son as well).

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...thats alot of good stuff. thanks alot you guys. I think now i will always have a good book to read.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jestak
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for Jestak   Email Jestak         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw his named mentioned, but not enough. Tad Williams' Otherland series and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series are excellent. The first is almost techy sci-fi and the second is fantasy.
Another one that I didn't see is John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. Maybe everyone else read it in high school or something, but I didn't and just recently did. It still has power 70 years after the storyline. S. King's Dark Tower series is one of my favorites and it's finished as opposed to R. Jordan's Wheel series. There's one more that you probably never heard of, Paul O. Williams' Pelbar Cycle 7 book series is a hidden gem, but hard to find.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Julian May. Science fiction, written in mid 80s-90s. Great series of books called the Saga of the Exiles (about 5 books), followed by the Galactic Milieu trilogy. Both series linked by a 'prequel' called The Intervention. Absolutely fascinating series involving esp-capable humans, time travel to prehistoric times, warring alien races, and 'superhumans' trying to take over the galaxy. Sounds garbled, but it's great reading. Wow, i want to read it all over again!
You ought to try Stephen King too...

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I second both Simmon's Hyperion series and Julian May's Galactic Milieu world (3 series).
Both are fabulous, engrossing, with great charactors and are extremly well-plotted. I also admire May's gigantic vocabulary and poetic prose.

edit: and try anything by Gene Wolfe (my favorite) or Neal Stephenson

[ October 12, 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Dean Hughes's "Soldier Boys" is a really good book. WWII HiFi. I started it and read it in the same day. Couldn't put the blasted book down. I'm relatively new at reading though (I hated reading as a teenager, and through the intervention of a number of English courses that forced me to read some incredibly terrible books, ie: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard, I learned to enjoy just about anything, but I'm still trying to catch up to all the other bookworms out there).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I'll drop in my 0.02 -

pretty much all of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy authors I like have already been mentioned (postively and negatively!) - I'd recommend getting a few of each from your local Half Price books and making your mind up for yourself. The Incarnations of Immortality series is good Piers Anthony fantasy.

for non-fantasy I'd recommend taking a peek at Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series. I have always been a sci-fi junkie, but her books pulled me into the murder mystery/forensics category. I loved each and every one. No, they're not great for deep thouhgt, but they're a good read nonetheless.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Man i look up and realise there are so many i should have mentioned.

So i'll throw Asimov, Herbert, Douglas Adams and Donaldson into the mix too.

Yes, yes i've heard a lot of mixed opinions on Thomas Covenant - its the whole point of well he is a whiny rapist afterall - not to mention some people finding the leprosy just off putting but i still find the Chronicles as some of the most satisfying reading i've done for a while.

And however unseemly the rape scene is you just got to read on and into the Second Chronicles (Third on the way) to see how much that act really keeps coming back to bite him in the ass!

Oh and um...Dante Alghieri is always a nice bedime read.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites on my "must read" list is "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Dean Koontz- Watchers is by far his best

Jean Auel- Clan of the Cave Bear is a must read

Anne Rice

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about Le Guin. I love her short stories but I find her novels incredibly boring. However, I'm definatly in the minority there, so you should try her out.

If you're looking for fun fluff I love Eddings and Lackey. Lackey's a pretty bad writer, but her stuff doesn't require much thought and is good for when you're down.

If you're looking for something definatly better than OSC and you don't care about the genre, read Chaim Potok. Everytime I finish one of his books I get depressed because I know there's no one out there who can even compare.

I'd watch out for Anne Rice, her books have a lot of theology, and they're not always clean. A lot of people love them, I don't care, but since I have no idea if that will bother you you deserve to be warned.

For Sci fi writers who may or may not be better than OSC I'd try Nancy Kress and Lois McMaster Bujold. Kress is hard sci fi (science oriented) and Bujold is soft sci fi (character oriented) both are exellent. I've never heard anything bad about either of them, although I suppose I'm asking for it now.

To Mazer- You don't like gratituous sex and yet you don't mind Jordan. I liked Jordan for a long time before I became disgusted with the sex and torture that he couldn't resist sticking in his books even when completely unnecessary.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
She doesn't have anything to do with sci-fi or fantasy, but I'm recommending Jane Austen anyway.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, he owns the title The Last War...
You can't own titles.

And no one has mentioned Crichton? In terms of writing styles, he's closer to OSC than anyone (wether OSC wants to admit it or not [Razz] )

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Chricton's characters are flat, cardboard cutout pieces, and his plots are very predictable. You wonder why people go places, and you know it is simply so they will be at a certain place when something important happens. But they had no realistic motivation to be there. I read Timeline about the time it came out. I could tell what would happen to each one by what particular cardboard role they had.

Anyway,

I second the Gene Wolfe recommendation.
I haven't seen anyone recommend Robin Hobb (or her pseudonym, Megan Lindholm). She is one of my favorites.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.