FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Memory of Earth?

Author Topic: The Memory of Earth?
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one more Shadow book to go: Shadow Puppets, and then of course I and everybody else who wants to read Shadow of the Giant has to wait till next month.

So I've been reading some of the preview chapters of some Card books in the OSC library.

I read The Memory of Earth chapters last night and it seemed interesting.

Has anybody read this series? Anybody recommand Memory of Earth and its other books?

Please no spoilers. I just wanna know if these books are really good or not. I like the Ender and Shadow series. Will I like Memory of Earth?

The first two chapters seemed interesting, but I know the story gets even bigger from there.

What do you all think?

DF2506
" Still has to read Shadow Puppets, but is already thinking of what I'll read after that! "

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, read them. They're worth it.

If you've finished the Ender series as well (Speaker, Xenocide, Children of...) then I'd go for reading homecoming.

IF you're looking for a change of gears, you might want to read the Alvin series next. Takes place in an alternate reality in the US in the mid-1800s. I read The homecoming series first but actually enjoyed Alvin a little more. But they're all good and I'm sure you'll enjoy the Homecoming books as much as the rest of us did. [Big Grin]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The advantage of the Homecoming series (memory of earth) is that it is complete, whereas Alvin still has one book to go.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

I'm thinking that after I read Shadow Puppets, I'm going to get my library to order Seventh Son and The Memory of Earth. I'll read those two and then decide which one I like better. If I like Seventh Son better, I'll read the Alvin series, but if I like Memory of Earth better I'll read the Homecoming series.

Thanks for the opinions!

Btw, I have already read all the Ender books! Speaker For the Dead was my favorite (then Xenocide).

DF2506
" Out of the Shadow books, my favorite so far is Ender's Shadow. Though I did like Shadow of the Hegemon quiete a bit too! "

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

Sorry for the double post. I decided to bring this old post back instead of starting a new one!

I am reading Memory of Earth now. I had already read the first few chapters on-line, so those were no suprise. They were good though. After those chapters, I wasn't sure if I was liking the book or not. It was a slow start at first, but boy has it picked up!

I know, so far, that I like Seventh Son better and I'll prob read the rest of that series first, but I'm really starting to get into Memory of Earth. Interesting and mysterious.

I think the main character and Luet are prob the most interesting characters in the book so far.

I find the concept of the Oversoul is pretty interesting too and I look forward to finding out more about it!

I'm definitly going to read more of the book before I go to bed!

DF2506
" Thinks that Orson Scott Card is a really great writer! "

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Memory of Earth, Call of Earth, and Ships of Earth, but by the time I got to the last two, EarthFall and EarthBorn I kind of lost interest. I just didn't stay with the series.

But many others have liked the series a great deal, and it is worth your time to try it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

I finished Memory of Earth recently and I liked it! I definitly want to read more of it!

I'm going to read the Alvin books first and then go back to the Homecoming series (I'll re-read Memory of Earth if I have to).

I will get back to it though! Memory of Earth was pretty good!

DF2506
" Though I know I liked Seventh Son the best of the two. Still, Memory of Earth had some really good characters and interesting elements too! Man, Card is such a great writer! "

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.