FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Linking Ener and Bean Series?

Author Topic: Linking Ener and Bean Series?
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Do anyone know anything about this supposed book after Shadow of the Giant that is supposed to somehow link the Ender series with the Bean series? I know Bean and Petra apparently go into space in SOTG, but it seems somewhat difficult to link one series with another 3000 or so year later. Will Bean and Petra meet Miro, Val, Peter, and Wang-Mu? I just don't see that happening! [Dont Know]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Both series are alreaedy linked together at their beginnings.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
They are? How so?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you pay careful attention, there is a character called Bean in Ender's Game that has some similarities to a similarly named character in Ender's Shadow. I'm not sure how they are connected, but I'm sure there's something there...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] Funny, but yano what's weird? Sometime I find it hard to think of the "Ender's Game" Bean and the "Ender's Shadow" Bean as being the same person. I mean, I know they are of course but still . . . I guess it's just the differences between how Ender viewed Bean and how Bean viewed himself.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Plus 20 years of change in the author.
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

Good point, indeed.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you pay careful attention, there is a character called Bean in Ender's Game that has some similarities to a similarly named character in Ender's Shadow. I'm not sure how they are connected, but I'm sure there's something there...
I think you're reading into things just a bit there Porter. I mean come on, Bean and Ender are both pretty common names--I'll bet it's just a coincidence. After all, I can think of at least three other books by just this author that have characters named Ender!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
Reallly?! Okay.....name them!
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You've got a point. Now that I think of it there are at least four short stories that also have characters with one of those names.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
um..............you know what my idea is on how the series should/might be connected:

Ok, it is about Bean's descendants. Ok so in Shadow Puppets Petra says she wants a planet composed entirely of Bean's children, right? Ok so the descalodores from the Ender series are Bean's children with Anton's Key turned, but by eliminating the need for the English language they were able to make the brain grow slower hence slowing down the death at age 20 process. Ok so Ender/Peter will go there with other members of the populace of Lusitania and they will discover that the descaloda is the newest way that Bean's children cure Anton's Key without curing it...and so they have unleashed on different planets to test it, and are about to launch it upon Earth because they think that everyone has Anton's Key turned and they have to stop them.....and somewhere in this an extremely old Petra comes in.....Bean's children found a way to make her virtually immortal without traveling in space.....so the whole thing is resovled be Jane/Valentine who finds a way to communicate with them through a basically lifeless shell(Bean) who they also made immortal but continues growing....he has a physic link that Bean's children created and Valentine hacks into Bean and orders them to stop....Ender/Peter takes pity and Petra, him, and Valentine/Jane shut Bean down

its a little weird because i thought of it in about 5 minutes while i was showering so [Evil Laugh] [Wall Bash] [The Wave]

[ December 15, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

Who are you and what have you done with my mind children!? [Angst]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

you mean what know?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

what know? I know nothing! Isn't it obvious?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
You know... that sorta reminds me of that episode of enterprise... the one where the NX-01 meets there descendant because aparently they were sent 100 yars back and time and have been waiting for the NX-01 to show up again so they can stop them from going back in time a second time. Except the older NX-01's captain decides to go ahead with the mission themselves by stealing the plasma injectors... I've wandered haven't I?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

does my "prediction" make sense to you peoples
Nania
Member # 7144

- posted      Profile for Nania   Email Nania         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the elimination of the need of the English Language, i'm not sure how that would slow somethings mind down, considering how many other languages there are. I do agree with the possibility Card's alien species at the end of the Enders Game series could be a race of Anton's Key/Bean-like people. Maybe that is what the descalora is. I also doubt that they somehow made Petra "immortal" but I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see! I don't know, I'm not Card. I hope this doesn't count as a fan uhhh can't remember the other part of that... where fans write books based off of already written books.... or something. I don't mean it like that, I'm just making some speculations. I think my brain died during work today [Eek!] there's a lot of [Wall Bash] going on there.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
"fan-fic" is the word.
[Cool]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Your prediction (no quotation marks actually needed, you realize) has big holes in it. Bean's ancestors would have had to be on the planet of the descoladores before Bean was born to send out the viruses that terraformed Lusitania. Secondly, it will probably link via a new Shadow book. The Ender series has no room left.

Other stuff but I'm lazy.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

But just think, If Card put the book in a new series all by itself he might very well make a sequel to that one. Therefore he could make another sequel to the sequel of the book that links the Ender and Bean series. Then he'd make a completely different series about the children of Bean and Peter's children's children. Then he'd make another series about thier children. Then he could make a sequel to the series that links the previous two sequels to the previous two series! Then the Enderverse will never end!!!!! Bwahahahahaha! [Evil Laugh]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Joldo- Why would Bean's ancestors have to be there already? Perhaps Bean's children were sent their and Bean and Petra found them and cured them. They interbred to keep the intelligence level up and created the descaloda to neutralize Anton's Key, but also create a new intelligence implimenter. See it all makes sense. I have no idea what your talking about. [Dont Know]

Oh yes and the Ender series still has room. They have not discovered the history of the descaloda and/or the descalodores. Anything could happen....you just have to keep an open mind. [Hat]

[ December 23, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, my English is screwed up. Descendants, not ancestors. The virus was sent out to Lusitania many thousands of years ago. The Bugger Wars were only three thousand years ago.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Joldo-How can that be? Novinha was alive when the descolade made its first attack, and she isn't thousands of years old. The Bugger Wars were 3,000 years ago, but the descolado had only made its first attack 20 or so years before Ender arrived there.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Its first attack on humans... but hte piggies had been on Lusitania for a long time before, and the Descolada played a vital part in their life cycle. I agree that the descolada needn't have been on Lusitania for over 3000 years, but it also was not new when the humans arrived.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nania
Member # 7144

- posted      Profile for Nania   Email Nania         Edit/Delete Post 
The piggies are a very new species... (coming from someone who recently read both series, but i probably have forgotten crucial parts) Considering how few species there are on Lusitania and now new the piggies are (well the higher intelligence form and the whole talking tree part) I think its very likely that the descalora is related to Bean and Petra's children being on another planet, if thats how the next book plays out. Especially since in Shadow Puppets, they refer to Bean as being a giant quite often. It is probably just a coincidence though. Also because the fate of Bean and Petra's children are left up in the air. I think a huge part of Shadow of the Giant has to do with these children. Also, these children will more than likely be increadibly smart. Given the current technology that they could attain when put on that planet from Earth, in a few years, I would not be surprised if all of these children advance farther than the normal human race. Think about all that we have accomplished in such a short time, the past 100 years for example. Imagine if everyone on the planet were as smart as Ender, Petra, Bean, etc. The past 100 years would probably look like we moved like a snail to them!

Another side... maybe it has to do with Peter's hegemony. Him being a metaphorical giant. Since he turns out to be this great and powerful hegemon, which has been foretold in the other books.

It would be great if it could include both of these topics, but that is a lot for one book. I can't wait to find out! I won't be disapointed if none of my predictions come true.

[ December 23, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Nania ]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonfoss
Member # 7155

- posted      Profile for dragonfoss   Email dragonfoss         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the theory that the Children of the Mind has to be Bean and Petra's descendents. There's no other possibility.

But they don't need a different language to slow down the intelligence! What I think prevented their race from having
quote:
The past 100 years would probably look like we moved like a snail to them!
has to be religion.

Read the book, and look at our own human history.

[ December 24, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: dragonfoss ]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.