FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Parents of budding OSC fans

Author Topic: Parents of budding OSC fans
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
My 11 year old son just came into my office to tell me that Ender's Shadow is scary. And that he likes it. [Big Grin]

I started reading him Ender's Game just before Thanksgiving. Then our entire house caught the plague, which for me has turned into bronchitis and meant the loss of my voice, which meant reading to him was too painful. So he took up without me, and finished it. Now he's on to Ender's Shadow and can't stop asking questions about what is going to happen.

There are days when I am so proud of my son I can hardly stand it. This is one of those days. Thanks Uncle Orson!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tykemerry
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for tykemerry   Email tykemerry         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids, now age 14 and 12, have been reading Card for several years now. The oldest has read almost everything Card has written with the exception of the short stories, Rachel and Leah, and a couple of the old out of print books. It's a real pleasure to see them grow up and start reading such sophisticated and intellectually challenging stuff. Of course, then they take it the next step and end up spending too much time on-line at places like this (as do I -- it's addictive). At age 12, my older son was a moderator for a Lemony Snicket website and a Harry Potter website. He's at a very challenging high school now so he doesn't have time to moderate anymore, but, fortunately he still reads 2 to three books a week somehow. Keep up the good work. As your child grows older you'll find great joy in sharing your favorite works. Of course, sometimes they'll reject them (mine can't get into Dickens the way I did), but most of the time it's a great reward to be able to have a really good discussion on a favorite book.

Cheers.

Mike

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can't quite get him into the Anne of Green Gables books. I can't imagine why [Wink] ...I have always loved them!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I let my older brother barrow my Ender's Shadow book earlier this year(which surprised me becaues in my 25 years of life he's never barrowed a book from me)and within 6 months had read all the Enderverse books, which for my brother, who has never even read that many books in his life (except books he was forced to read), is just plain unbeliviable. He was upset when I told him that he had to wait for March for the next Shadow book to come out.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got into OSC back in Jr High...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.