FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Calvin

Author Topic: Calvin
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little question of psychology :
Why is Calvin so bad and silly (bête et méchant)? When we think that he is doing a good thing, we soon discover that he is only thinking in his own interest... Like Mebbekew in Basilica, etc...
Does OSC have to put this kind of character in his books ? Can't be Calvin a little less selfish ?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

Stories that are only about good people doing good things get boring and sappy. Our heroes need villains, and it is far better if they are complex and real than if they are cardboard cut out just plain evil.

I like it that we can like and hate Calvin at the same time. He is more interesting that way. Of course we want to slap him upside the face sometimes, but I think that is the intended response. After all, aren't people like this (not all bad, not all good) in real life?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think it is unusual for two brothers to feel competition, or for one to feel inferior to the other, and have bitterness, as Calvin does.

Do you have siblings?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you both but I think Calvin is too silly : almost all his actions are stupid and he's allways saved by Alvin (or Arthur)! Nobody can be so stupid, overall not Alvin's brother!
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
He's very selfish, and selfish persons often do stupid things because they think only about their own benefice. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
So you think his character is too exaggerated to be believable? I can understand that. I have seen parts of Calvin in certain people I have interacted with in my life, but the whole of Calvin may be a bit too much all in one person.

I dunno, I can't judge this. Maybe he is realistic after all. What do I know?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.