FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Waiting...

Author Topic: Waiting...
Nania
Member # 7144

- posted      Profile for Nania   Email Nania         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a new Orson Scott Card fan, mainly for the Ender's Game sequels. I don't really have an interest in reading the others, but I might, considering I'll have to wait till March for Shadow of the Giant. [Frown]

Being a college student, we have required readings for my classes. I was in college in Greensboro, NC and my expository writing professor required us to read Ender's Game because he is a local author, not because he particularly enjoyed Card's writings. I was very surprised that my professor actually did not enjoy Ender's Game. I loved it! [Big Grin]

I was very interested in what the sequels had to offer, but never acted on this. A year after reading Ender's Game, I was house-sitting for a neighbor and came across Ender's Shadow. After reading, I began speaking with some of my other college friends who said they didn't like the sequels. I had personally found myself unable to put Ender's Shadow down.

A couple months later, after saving up some money (remember, college student), I bought all the sequels I could find and have been reading them non-stop. I love these books, even though It took a while to remember how Ender's Game had ended in order to understand what was going on in Speaker for the Dead. It was very different from what I had expected, but deffinately not disapointing.

I am just starting Shadow Puppets and will be purchasing First Meetings very soon. I would much rather buy a cheaper paper-back version, but I should get some Christmas money and will buy it.

I will have a huge problem with waiting until March to buy Shadow of the Giant. Even though, I know these books will eventually come to an end and I should savor the moments poured into them, I still have that childhood impatience. [Dont Know]

Anyway, Hi. I'm new to the forum and may reply once in a while, or create a topic of my own. Thanks for reading my introduction!

-Nania [Hat]

P.S. I found the smilies too cute to resist [The Wave] [Party]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm for only a week here. Just like you I read only Ender-related books. I'm also waiting for new sequels, but then, I will have to wait a bit longer, 'cause hardly ever an original book is brought out before translation. (I'm foreigner)

I liked 'Speaker for the Dead' best (excluding EG of course;) although all 'shadows' were gripping too. The only non- Ender book I read was 'Wyrms' and I found it mildly interesting.

Valete

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome !! Don't be so impatient ! Think all Foreigners must wait around ten mounth (with luck) to read easier the following book.
But, You can read other good books during this time. Currently, I read The Disc World books by Terry Pratchett, and I laugh a lot !
Or If you already read all his book, you can try another Autor. I can recommend you a french writer : Werber. He has writen the ants (Les Fourmis, en Français) which are a very popular book here. Try and say me if you like. [Wink]

[ December 20, 2004, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ben Bova most recently. Although he's got nothing to do with Ender, for it's pure SF and maybe psycholigical a bit. And classics of course: Isaac Asimov and all the foundation sequels.

And as a patriotic duty I must recomend some polish literature of this kind- author Lem, book title "Solaris". There was a movie last year. Not bad.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I first found Ender's Game on my english teachers desk. It was the title that attracted me; "Ender's Game eh? Must be about some kind of game looks interesting." So I borrow it and now I am hooked on sci-fi. I got hooked on Star Trek almost the same way except it was witht he movies. I'm in the video store and theres nothing to watch so I see ST: Nemesis and I think "hey what the heck?" I watch it and I end up hooked on that too.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You got hooked on Trek with Nemesis? [Angst]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Solaris : very good book and terrific film ! I like.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to read Solaris. I really suspect it makes a better book than movie, but I did like the movie. The only problem is that it moves a little too slowly, something that 2001: A Space Odessey also suffers from.

BTW, the best Trek film in my opinion is #4, The Voyage Home, with Undiscovered Country being a close second. The Voyage Home has some great dialogue and is charming. That said, I watched it yesterday and was pretty disappointed once again at all the continuity flaws that plagues the entire Star Trek universe.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nania
Member # 7144

- posted      Profile for Nania   Email Nania         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ender's Game/Shadow and sequels for the psychological aspect. The SF is very interesting too. It was hard to wrap my mind around the philotic connection idea, but thats my own fault. I tend to make a poor attempt at making these ideas reality somehow. I'm deffinately not smart enough to know whether or not the possibility for a lot of those type of things can exist and I loose myself in that thought. It deffinately takes away from the story. When I finally bring myself back, it is the humanity (not the species. the emotion, personality) in the books that intrigues me.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.