FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » SotG cover

Author Topic: SotG cover
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I know with the Ender series, the cover illustrations have nothing to do with the books, but I always figured the Shadow books had something in common with the actual content. Any speculation on who the two characters are or anything along those lines?

Due to the hour and my having just gotten off work, my mind works barely enough to be curious, but not enough to think about it.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that the paperback cover of Shadow Puppets relates to the story, or maybe it's just my lack of imagination. As for Shadow of the Giant, it looks to me like two people standing in front of a Stargate. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I dunno - it seemed to me that possibly the huge guy on the left was Bean and the gal on the right Petra . . .

pure speculation . . . [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean should be porportioned more like a baby than the adult on the cover.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I still say it's possible for the guy to be Peter. Or maybe they are two characters that we don't know yet, or at least don't expect to be working together in this book.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
could it be Ender and his sister (Valentine?) looking out the window of the ship going to the colony?
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

They look too old, considering that Ender and Val should be about 12 and 14.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We have no idea how long this book will be. It might be 10 years long.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Um, I think you're forgetting that Ender and Val are
traveling at relativistic speed. The ship won't reach the colony for 50 years, and they will hardly age in that time.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

But maybe the end of the book is 70 years after the start.
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
A linking between the series would be exciting, but then again...It might be disappointing as well. Remember, that sometimes our imagination is more fair towards the characters the the fate set for them by the author...

-Beanny

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
(The linkage doesn't happen until the next book.)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the cover was created for or is related to SotG, but probably someone (whoever puts the covers on the books) was looking for a good cover for the book and thought thoese two people staring out at a stargate or something resembled what they thought Bean and Petra would look like. [Dont Know]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I agree. That's also pretty much what happened for the original Ender Quartet covers. They just slapped random sci-fi images on them
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
it is not a stargate. it is the window to a starship. Look at the rest of the cover. you notice it is in a wall and there are stars on other side.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean OId Frisco
Member # 7186

- posted      Profile for Mean OId Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the cover.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, assuming the girl is Petra, the man could be Bean, although I would imagine him looking very different. It could also be Graff or Mazer or one of the other battle school instructers still with the IF.

Maybe it's Petra and Graff staring out from the old battle school toward Bean as he blasts away into space at relativistic speeds to keep him alive... Maybe.

Or maybe it's not related to the book at all.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think the man is Dean Anderson.
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Petra have blonde hair?
Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I always pictured her with dark hair. I don't think the books tell us.

And the picture won't change my mental image, although it might affect the mental image of those who hadn't read the series previous to SotG's release.

[ January 06, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I like these random fake Frisco posts [Smile]

real fake Frisco posts? Fake real Frisco posts?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Counterfeit fake?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.